BootsnAll Travel Network



Huancavelica- Girl, we couldn’t get much higher

alpacas

Some people might say I have issues, and they are probably right. For example, when I saw on the map of Peru that there is a place in the Andes noted as the “Highest Drivable Pass In The World” I was on a mission to go there. Never mind that it involved a detour on our way to Cusco, hours of driving on washed-out dirt roads gripping the sides of crumbling rock mountains, getting lost, having a gun pointed in our general direction (more on that later- ooh, a cliffhanger), traveling into the pitch black of night, becoming ill with altitude sickness, etc.

But, hey, we have almost made it. Sure, you don’t have any issues?

Here’s a lady we met in the abandoned town of Santa Barbara. She was spinning yarn while tending her flock of sheep.

spinner



Tags:

One Response to “Huancavelica- Girl, we couldn’t get much higher”

  1. Jules Says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY GISELLE !!!!
    best regards, Jules

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Krissy Says:

    Happy Birthday Giselle!!! Wow what a way to celebrate your day! happy happy happy. xo Krissy

    hi danny!

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Nancy Says:

    Happy Birthday Giselle! Love the photos and commentary. Congratulations on getting the Explorer back! Have been reading recently re: the Nazca Lines and the Ica Stones. And you’re right there, wow! Hope to hear more about the Andes Mountain pass trip. Have started watching the Travel Channel; last week a show featured the Nazca Lines and the Crystal Skulls (and Nessy, etc.). Will tape it if I see it again. With your great blog and the Travel Channel, I will have some interesting vicarious experiences.

  6. beth Says:

    Happy Birthday from all of us in the Libraries.

    Beth

  7. Posted from United States United States
  8. Hannah Says:

    Yes, Happy Birthday! I hope it was a good day.
    Hannah

  9. Posted from United States United States
  10. Giselle Says:

    Thanks, everyone! We drove through some incredible Andean scenery of snow-capped peaks, herds of llamas and alpacas, green hills and waterfalls. We helped pull a truck out of a ditch, picked up an Australian hitchhiker, and arrived safely in the town known as the birthplace of a notorious terrorist movement to celebrate my 40th. How many people can say the same?

  11. Posted from Peru Peru
  12. dorothy Says:

    Sorry I missed your birthday, Giselle! I did think of you, but not until I was at home (where I have a calendar but not email. d’oh!) Hope it was a fabulous day with no altitude oogieness! ((hugs)) dorothy

  13. Posted from United States United States
  14. Kathie Says:

    This is great! I love that you celebrated your 40th in “the birthplace of a nortorious terrorist movement!” I doubt there are many people who can say the same… except perhaps for those actually living in said birthplace at the time of their 40th birthday. Some people really go to extremes to celebrate those milestone birthdays, don’t they! Well, it sounds like yours was truly memorable, and I’m happy to read about it! Happy Birthday, Giselle!

    This is the first I’ve had a chance to check out your blog – great stuff! Hope all your travels are going well!

  15. Posted from United States United States
  16. Mara Says:

    Hey, happy birthday! (Belated) Great pics! I’m inspired 🙂

  17. Posted from United States United States
  18. Shira Says:

    Hey bro and birthday girl!
    Happy B-day Giselle- what a way to celebrate!!!! Treetops, sand dunes, plane rides, alien grafitti, terrorist hang outs, tourista travails….I want to go sandboarding too!!! Ps. You’re freaking mom out with your ‘high Andes adventures’ so as soon as you can please duck into an Internet cafe and update us on your latest excitement, Mom’s logged on…
    Love ya,
    Shira

  19. Posted from United States United States