BootsnAll Travel Network



Ciudad del Este, Paraguay- Gone in 60 hours, or, how to lose 4,000 pounds in a hurry

Man, that´s a lot of street activity. With sketchy reports swirling around in our heads of a city overrun by robbery, murder, and mayhem, we crossed the border into Ciudad del Este, Paraguay. Obviously we survived, evidenced by this latest posting. When we entered Bolivia what seems like ages ago, we started hearing of a fabled city where anything goes- Ciudad del Este. ‘Do not find yourself in this place after dark!’ warnings were heaped upon us. Unfortunately, due to the impossibility of selling our ride in Argentina (there are laws against selling a car with foreign plates and a serious lack of flexibility in such laws not to mention our lack of desire of breaking such laws) we aimed the Explorer at the place with easiest reputation for transferring goods on the continent. After a lot of visiting car dealers we finally found a buyer and had the transfer done by a lawyer so everything is all legit. By the way, the city failed to live up to its dangerous rep, but there sure were a lot of people running around. The guy we hired to guide us calls it the ‘Hong Kong of Latin America’ and that pretty much sums it up.

We are off to Buenos Aires to look for a flight home.



Tags:

2 Responses to “Ciudad del Este, Paraguay- Gone in 60 hours, or, how to lose 4,000 pounds in a hurry”

  1. Damon Says:

    Wow, I can’t believe it’s over. It’s kind of sad. Give me a call when you get back to DC.

    D

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Krissy Says:

    Oh man! I was waiting to hear about back alley transactions or waiting behind a brick wall to watch the thieves strip your ride like vultures on a carcass.

    Glad you ditched the ride succesfully. Foreign lawyers and everything. You guys ARE resourceful!
    k.

  4. Posted from United States United States