BootsnAll Travel Network



The ‘other’ barrios

img_2072.jpg

For a city with so many well-known barrios (or nieghborhoods) very few people step out of famous Recoleta, posh Palermo, high-end Canitas, trendy San Telmo or the bustling Centro.

However, there is far more to Buenos Aires than just these ‘guide book’ barrios. Buenos Aires has an incredible number of other barrios that are rich in culture, people and interesting stories. La Boca is known for its colorful housing and of course nearly every Argentine’s beloved stadium but even still, it borders on touristy when going for a visit.

Barracas is one such neighborhood in Buenos Aires that is located on the other side of the Centro from Palermo and Recoleta, near Congreso and is absolutely booming with the ‘up and coming’. The streets are cute and charming and the housing is cheap and incredible. It does require a keen eye when it comes to staying safe, but Barracas is so popular in fact that it is rumored that several Hollywood celebrities are buying property in what will soon be the ‘next San Telmo’.

So next Saturday or Sunday with nothing to do, go explore the REAL Buenos Aires.



Tags:

2 responses to “The ‘other’ barrios”

  1. D says:

    TUCUMAN!!! This place is beautiful, but if you want to see the yellow flowers on the trees seen in this photso (I think the flower is called apacho) then you have to go between August and October. Incredible. Lot’s of people skip Tucuman on their way up to the North of Argentina, but it’s worth a couple days for sure!

  2. Rose says:

    Buenos Aires is an amazing city and I also recommend stepping off of the beaten path when it comes to where to hang out. I lived in Barracas myself for a few months and it was cheap and yet relatively close to downtown. I also throughly enjoy heading to Abasto to enjoy some Peruvian food! If you like spicy (and you´re probably wondering where to get it in BA) the Peruvians sure know how to do it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *