BootsnAll Travel Network



Zambia and Vic Falls

another fairly uneventful bus ride took us from Lusaka to Vic Falls (nowt happened in Lusaka…sadly) where we arrived with smoke billowing from the side of the bus and the driver struggling – from the last 30km- to engage any gears!

a short walk got us to our hostel for the next couple of nights: Fawlty Towers believe it or not!: Rags had already booked here as she was meeting her friends Penny and Olav (sp?) Firstly though we had a sunset trip on the Great Zambezi river in a little cruise boat, very nice little trip with as much alcohol as you could drink (though we didnt drink much, HONEST ma!) ..which we duly did and had a couple of beers…again

next morning me and Rags toddled off to the Gorge where I did a Zip line, Gorge swing and abseil…while cowardly Rags watched and took photos. The zip line was fairly tame, but the Gorge swing was pretty damn good!…basically you step off the side of the vertically walled gorge and drop for 50m in freefall, before the line you’re – hopefully- attached to, takes up the slack and swings you out over the gorge! (the rope is fixed in the centre of the gorge from some rope thingees) its pretty scarey – mebbee’s even more then bungee jumping!

The afternoon’s highlight was a trip to Livingston Island – THIS IS A TRIP NOT TO MISS IF YOU GO TO LIVINGSTON!!! basically you head off to the falls in a little boat with an outboard on the back…then just before you go OVER the falls, the driver turns left and parks the boat in some reeds on the edge of a little rocky island…Livingston Island to be exact – apparently this is where Dr. Livingston landed on his first view of the falls. You’re met by a chappie in white uniform carrying a platter of welcome drinks and who then guides you to a tented table area approx 30m from the top of the falls. the guide then takes you TO THE EDGE of the falls for photos etc.

Dramatic is not the word for it!!! blinkin incredible, I reckon!…sadly we couldnt get to the Devils Armchair which is a pool within the Falls, right up at the edge where – I’m told – the guides will hold your feet as you DANGLE over the edge !!!95+m up above the edge of the Falls!!! Anyhoo, it didnt matter that much as the whole thing is stunning. Then you’re taken back to the tented area where we drank Pimms (me) and wine(Rags) and ate some light canapes etc. how absolutely divine! then got the boat back to the shore

Next morning we had brekkie at ZigZag with Penny and Olav (mmmm cereal with FRESH milk) and then after saying goodbye to them, we did some shopping for groceries (and ear drops…still got the ear infection) then headed to the border with our unofficial taxi driver: Watson. As Rags went thru the border, I got called back to the taxi as Watson was getting grief from the police – I had to assure them that we hadnt paid him and that he had brought us to the border cos he was a friend (Gullible cops?) anyhoo, eventually I got across the border too – after scaring a baboon away from Rags.

so that was Zambia!…bring on Zimbabwe!!!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *