BootsnAll Travel Network



leopards, lions, hyaenas and Aardwolves!!!!

we got a fleeting view of another leopard after Stuart spotted fresh tracks at a koppie: he got out to follow the tracks whilst I drove the Landie with students around the other side to see what we could see…as I drove, the leopard crossed the track and disappeared into the bush….shame was, I was the only person not to see it as I was concentratingĀ on driving!

Whilst driving a twice weekly Game count in the Hi-lux, we found a male lion lying at a road junction!! – theres never been a male lion in Tuli before!! we stopped about 50m from it and waited, eventually after a minute or so, the lion got upo, stretched and then started walking along the road towards us!…he got within 5m of the front of the car, before turning off the road and coming to us from the side. he walked to within 6 or 7m of us, then lay down and stared at us for a while – with big yellow eyes that dont seem to give anything away…strange really. Then he yawned got up and turned his back on us as if the photoshoot was over. we took the hint and drove off to leave him in peace. Sadly we havent seen hide nor mane of him sinceTuli Lion

I sat with Stuart one Sunday afternoon and fixed the CD player which wasnt giving full volume correctly – reason being, Stuart had made a CD of hyaena and lion calls which we wanted to play at night to attract the animals. Anyhoo, we drove to Lekkerpoet one night and sat at the ‘pans’ (flats) and started playing the CD. Within a few minutes of this we had one hyaena wandering around us – but at a distance – and lots of jackal coming to see what the noise was all about. Unfortunately, at this point the CD burst into flames!!! (which explained the damage seen previously inside the player) and flattened the battery in the process! so after ripping the CD player out, we had to jump out of the car and push start it to drive out of danger!!!…MAD!!!

15 minutes or so later, we had hooked up a laptop thru the home hifi we had taken along and played the calls through that (speakers standing ont he roof of the car!) within 10 minutes, we had 2 hyaena right next to the car and got some great shots of it (at this stage I was out of the car, standing on the running boards to get the shots) LUSH!!

finally this week we were returning fromĀ an unsuccessful night drive around Lekkerpoet, when we spotted an Aardwolf crossing the road in front of us! again, this is a first for Tuli..we got a great view to as it raised its mane and snarled at us before disappearing into the bush!



Tags:

10 responses to “leopards, lions, hyaenas and Aardwolves!!!!”

  1. will cross says:

    AARGH!! you f***ing b@@@rd!!! oh my god that’s annoying, i NEED to come back to tuli!nrYou are living the life mate. Put some pictures up on here or email them.

  2. Danny says:

    Great update. Sounds like you are having an amazing time out there.

    Pining for the North East yet?

    Have fun and make sure you don’t end up like ‘Whiskers’ for the big cats

  3. Elle says:

    I am not even going to mention how jealous i am right now!! x

  4. Bucko says:

    Hey up mate,you got a suntan yet then?these Aardwolves,are they arder than all the other wolves then?

  5. admin says:

    hey up guys!
    pining for the rain and cold and lack of biking weather?…and socialising with you bunch of misfits and lightweights

    nah! ;^), well maybe the biking, drinking and currys!…cant get a good Ruby here for love nor money!

    be good out there!

  6. margy b says:

    Hi chuggy, im new to this blog malarkey but had to tell you i love reading your adventures. Ive got 2 rabbits and 2 goldfish so will keep you updated with their adventures! Not as exciting as leopards and lions but, hey, this is Shields yer naa!
    Take care and i look forward to your next instalment.

    hi Margy, nice to hear from you….bluddy blogs are all new to me too!…but there again the t’internet seems all new to RSA judging by the difficulty I have in getting on it!

    ….dont the goldfish struggle in a hutch?

  7. Gavin says:

    What you doing posting from Sunny Trinny???

  8. Danny says:

    Come on Chug – where’s your latest updates.

    Some of us really are interested to know what new adventures you’re getting up to.

    sorry fella: its diff trying to get the net out here…bluddy 3rd world countries ;^)

  9. Sam Daulton says:

    Argh Man, all Kicks off after ive gone.

  10. Kasi Batz says:

    Great work babe!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *