BootsnAll Travel Network



Sports Day 2007!

It’s Sports Day this week which means no classes on Thursday/Friday!  Most of my students are sneaking off to return home for a 4-day weekend rather than stay and participate in the event.  It’s a shame because the Chinese really know how to pull off an event in style!  They take it for granted, but I sure don’t! 

As you will see from my pictures, the Opening Ceremonies for our Sports Day event looked like something out of the Olympics.  (Check out my PHOTOS link on the right side of this page).  All the schools in China seem to do this kind of thing.  I recall seeing something quite similar at the primary school where I taught three years ago in Guangdong Province, China.

In Canada, we don’t do anything like this elaborate.  If we have a sports event, then that’s what it is.  The Host gets on the microphone, welcomes everyone and then announces the first race of the day.  Oh yeah, I seem to remember a pie-eating contest one year back home….!

In the case of my university, the competitions couldn’t start until after almost 2 hours worth of performances.  It was fantastic!  I do try to attend most of my university’s events to support the efforts of my students and, well, it’s free entertainment so why not?!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *