BootsnAll Travel Network



May Holiday, in Hangzhou!

DSCN2741.JPG  DSCN2724.JPG  DSCN2706.JPG  DSCN2712.JPG  DSCN2742.JPG  DSCN2701.JPG  DSCN2734.JPG  DSCN2729.JPGWe have a one-week holiday the first week of May, in honour of “Labour Day”.  Well, that’s not exactly true.  The Chinese Government has allotted 3 days, and then demanded that all its people WORK the weekend before the holiday so that we will then have 7 days off.  That’s China for you – they giveth, and they taketh away!  But, either way, I am off work for 7 days.  No teaching, no lesson prep – yahoo!

I have decided to ‘play tourist’ this week in Hangzhou in order to conserve most of my savings for my upcoming trip to Canada and the U.S. in June.

Yesterday, I visited the “residence of Hu Xueyan” in downtown Hangzhou.  Hu Xueyan was considered the “Bill Gates” of his time.  He started as a banker, then owned a bank.  As a businessman, he traded in everything from grain, real estate, import/export of arms and silk and even was a pawnbroker.  This man also started the Huqing Yutan traditional Chinese medicine shop in Hangzhou.  His private residence features gardens and stone structures around several fish-filled ponds, and caves.  It is quite possibly the most beautiful private authentic Chinese residence I have seen so far, here in China. 

 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *