BootsnAll Travel Network



Hangzhou’s Old Street

Last week, during China’s New Year Festival, I headed down to the  Qinghefang Neighbourhood of Hangzhou.  It’s a very touristy place, but still one of my favourite spots in Hangzhou.  As you can see from the pictures (look for the photo link to the right of your screen), everyone else decided it would be a good idea to head down to Hefang Jie for the afternoon as well!

Hefang Jie is lined with small stalls, shops, pharmacies, restaurants and teahouses, and food stalls housed in traditional-style buildings. Walking along this street, you can easily imagine what it was like in centuries past.  You can bargain for good deals on paintings, tea, jade, silk products, animal horn combs and embroideries, etc.

If you want a good meal, there are some fine restaurants and teahouses in this area. There are also many snack food vendors along the street – duck head, anyone? Seriously, the food choices are enormous!  You can have traditionally-prepared tea in a teahouse here and visit old stores, even an herb museum and a traditional Chinese medicine shop.  It all comes at a price though, so bargain hard, and do so with a smile!



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *