BootsnAll Travel Network



CAMBODIA + Goodwill

DSCN3932.JPG  DSCN3931.JPG  DSCN3928.JPG  DSCN3915.JPG 

DSCN3898.JPG  DSCN3896.JPG  Mr. Ra (Siem Reap Driver)  My Driver in Siem Reap (at Green Gecko) 

DSCN3634.JPG

I had a wonderful day today. Things are getting better for me each and every day here. At breakfast this morning, I met a woman from Australia, and her Cambodian husband. Turns out, they run a small school called the Green Gecko Project. Their mission is to offer Siem Reap street kids a safe place to eat, wash, learn and play. Long story short, I spent the morning at the Green Gecko, hugging and playing with young children from the streets. It was so wonderful, that I plan on returning several times before I leave here. When I arrived in front of the school, 3 of the children came running up the path, with huge smiles on their faces – they each took me the rest of the way to the school by the hand – several more threw their arms around me in a big hug. I met a couple of volunteers from the U.S. while I was there. A French couple showed up later on, having been directed there by their hotel. They brought donations of picture books, colouring pencils and coloring books (why didn’t I think of doing that?!?!?). Anyway, the man is a professional photographer, so he took tons of pictures, and she told me she is going to talk to her friends when she gets back, so she can put together some donations for the cause. The Green Gecko Project also accepts financial donations. i will enter that information here as soon I have it available. I am so glad to have found this place. I may not have any money to give, but I have finally found a way that I can help make a difference while I am here!

I spent most of the afternoon finally visiting ANGKOR WAT, in the pouring rain!

 DSCN3700.JPG  DSCN3741.JPG  DSCN3733.JPG  DSCN3718.JPG  DSCN3702.JPG 

 DSCN3463.JPG  DSCN3659.JPG  DSCN3664.JPG  DSCN3654.JPG

Actually, the rain just added to the mystery of the place, I think. I took tons of photos and hope they turn out. To enter the site of Angkor Wat, one must cross this amazingly huge sandstone causeway which stretches out over an equally immense moat. It makes the moats around European castles look like child’s play. The site is quite grand and much larger than any of the others. For example, the corridors and ceilings are larger than life. It was extremely dark inside and not easy to navigate some of the steps in various places. But, I made it through. I hope to return on a nicer day, in hopes of being able to see more clearly inside.

Tomrrow, Mr. Ra and I are taking another long cycle ride, this time to the Roulos Group of temples which are the oldest, built in the time of 877-889. But after that, I plan to spend most mornings playing with the children at Green Gecko and possibly teaching them some English!



Tags:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *