BootsnAll Travel Network



Tour of Hollywood Homes

Hi,

We’ve got a few snaps to attach now, which I know you’ll like. We did two tours today. One was of the Chinese Theatre, built by Sid Gauman in the 1920s (a google search brings up some history and photos). It has been kept in beautiful condition and there are currently something like 80 premiers of movies there a year. (In fact there is a permier tomorrow night which we are hoping to go to, though we are also doing the Universal Studio tour tomorrow and we may get back a little late for a good position. We’ll see. It is the premier of the movie Iron Man and there will be stars, directors, etc and invited guests that we can spy on – on their way in.)

The theatre is inspired by Chinese artwork, lush red decorated carpets, chinese scenes and motifs on the walls, a carved statue of Confucius (my mistake – Lao Tzu), a beautiful lantern that carries incense (not today), red velvet seats and a beautiful red curtain that pulls back from the screen. It feels like something a kin to visiting Mecca for movie goers and film buffs to be walking along the pavers out the front of the wonderful theatre. Some of the stars Bette Davis, John Wayne, Joan Crawford, Eddie Cantor, Lana Turner … with more recent, I’m sorry their names escape me, and would you believe Mel Gibson is in there as well, hands and feet with the big stars. There are dozens of other actors that are represented on the footwalk with a star and their name inside but no hands and feet in cement – so Mel’s done good.

The second tour was of the Hollywood houses. The tour guide named Danny, himself a photographer of reknown who was born in Hollywood and often works for private parties of many of the celebrities. As you would imagine we saw loads of big gates and fences but it was really interesting to drive through West Hollywood (were there were loads of restaurants that the stars frequent) and to drive through the streets like Orange Grove. It goes to show with big time money, the streets were really beautiful, with big trees, beautiful gardens, lots of flowers, almost quaint. I guess i must have expected the area to be more brash, gaudy or something, but no, beautiful. Loads of huge houses, but certainly Madonna’s house was amongst the biggest, though there may have been one bigger and that was the home of the executive/director Aaron Spelling who produced loads of successful TV shows. We drove through the shopping area that you always see on the TV where the stars shop and there were paparattzi waiting outside for someone or other to come out. It looked exclusive and there weren’t many people walking along, though I saw one woman with some shorts and sneakers who looked like she was out shopping. Joey found out that Eminem and Snoop Dog lives nearby but we didn’t go to their streets. Joey is pretty sure that he saw Steve (I think it was) from Jackass and the driver told us that some of them live around here and that is was very likely that it was him (so Joey is stoked).

The driver as I said was an interesting character in himself and he told us one story about an Australian Rugby Team and Ossi Osbourne (a short version). The driver of the tour was an old school guide who prided himself in customer service, he went out of his way. One day he had the Australian team and the coach on a tour and they saw Ossi outside the place where they have meetings for alcoholics anonymous and as it happened Ossi’s driver couldn’t pick him up because he’d been in an accident. Well, the driver said he would drive Ossi home as we was going by there on the tour, so Ossi hopped in. Anyhow, when they got to his house Ossi gave the driver $300 for his trouble and then offered $800 or so to pay for the lunch of the players. Then Sharon came out and said, well, why don’t you come in here for lunch and the driver keep the money – but the driver said, oh no, we should keep on with the tour and did so. Well, the team were so pissed off that they gave the driver such a hard time – bad things turned to worse and somehow the driver was said to have pulled a gun on the one or two of the members. The end of the story was that the driver lost his job – so a funny story but certainly a sting in the tail and doesn’t speak all that well of the Auzzie boys?!

well, there you go, the kids are now having a nap and we’re talking about getting ourselves up to West Hollywood to do some star watch.

Have a look at the snaps – and thanks for reading.

take care and best from us, JBHG

PS: have had problems with downloading pics – will keep trying



Tags: , , ,

4 responses to “Tour of Hollywood Homes”

  1. jenny says:

    Thanks for the great descriptions – can just imagine the Chinese theatre. Hollywood houses so interesting too – and the busy driver story! Another fantastic day. Looking forward to seeing who you “spotted” last night. Are you 17 hours behind us? My news – parent teacher went well; having carpet put in today so house is in total shambles. Sam is very impressed by Joey’s news I can tell you! Looking forward to the next exciting episode!
    Love from Jen and Sam

  2. Leslie says:

    Wow! So much and only a few days in. I hope you’ve found a nice place for Hannah’s Mexican birthday dinner. It’s the morning of your birthday here Hannah so Happy Birthday.
    It’s been really cold here, down to minus 2 so you guys are going to get a bit of a shock when you get back after such warm weather. The swim in the pool at night sounded wonderful.
    Hope you managed to get to the premier of Iron Man, I saw some adds for it last night and it looks like it could be good. We are really looking forward to seeing the photos, sure hope you can manage to download them.
    We had some fun with Larry yesterday. He tried out his alarm call button with interesting consequences but it all ended OK. Ken had a chat with him last night and he’s doing well.
    Take care, enjoy, enjoy.
    Lotsaluv
    Leslie

  3. Lesley says:

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY HANNAH!!!!!!! Lots of Love From Aunty Lesley Jack and Rosiexxxxxxxx See, when you go to LA your famous!!!! with us for sure

  4. Hannah says:

    I am typing this and its half past four in the morning yesterday was a tireing day because we went to universal studios for 6 hours and stood outside the ironman premier for a couple hours not many famous stars showed up, then, except a few days ago steve-o and johnny knoxville from jackass walked passed us in the mall (and joey keeps going back to see if they’re there) and after the premier we walked home and i fell asleep on the couch (at 7:00). I woke up to find my mum on the laptop in the dark except the light of the laptop of course at 4:30 in the morning. She asked me to reply to some comments and thats everything that happend from yesterday to now. Thanks for the birthday wishes!!! šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ šŸ™‚ Much appreciated. From Hannah

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *