BootsnAll Travel Network



Elle est là.

I arrived in Douala on Friday afternoon with my six bags that had cost me a fortune in euros to get out of France. It turns out that Air France charges for each overweight kilogram depending on how far you are going. I ended up spending virtually all of my initial stake money. A hard lesson learned . . .

William, his sister Yonkua, her husband and her friend Mannette came to meet me at the airport. My bags were inspected at customs and we pushed and shoved our way outside to get into Yonkua and Patrice’s SUV. William was on the phone a lot the first few days telling people that I had arrived.

We confirmed an apartment that weekend and started furnishing it right away. All of our furniture is locally made–the living and dining room set, armoire, TV stand, bed. William had bought a cooktop with no oven, so we had to buy a cupboard/shelf for the kitchen that holds the stove and our gas supply. I think it must be like being at the cottage 24/7.

We slept on the mattress on the floor until our bed arrived the following weekend. William had already obtained some basics so we could limp along as we filled in the gaps. Yonkua fed us almost everyday (and continues to do so whenever we come into the city).

We live in a suburb called Makepe (Ma-ka-pay) in a group of 12 flats. We’re in the first level, second door on the right. We have two bathrooms, two bedrooms, a kitchen and living/dining room–but no hot water. Lots of room for company, but it ain’t the Hilton. For washing dishes I boil the water and when I have to have a warm water wash, I mix hot and cold in the bucket and use the dipper. (It grows on you.)

I am developing a new appreciation for all the modern conveniences we take for granted and I miss Toronto a lot. The language barrier is starting to make me frustrated because I can’t understand regular conversations and I can’t understand what people say to me half the time. My motivation to learn French is increasing everyday.

Tags: , , , ,



One Response to “Elle est là.”

  1. Irmina Says:

    I think you should write a book about all your experiences.

  2. Posted from Canada Canada

Leave a Reply