BootsnAll Travel Network



Long time…

I’ve been busy catching up with the last 14 months on the road and haven’t posted on what I’ve been up to since Hampi, so here’s what I’ve been up to…

Well, needless to say we’ve (Sarah and I) covered a lot of ground since then. I’ll quickly run off a bunch of names (of places we’ve been since), but no details or I’d be here all day (OK, maybe a few).

We headed south from Hampi to Bangalore, did a pub crawl there with a few friends and ended up head banging at a metal bar (long funny story). Hey, it just ended up that way! Then Sarah convinced a rickshaw driver to let her take his rickshaw for a spin at 1AM, pissed!. We headed further south to Mysore (ass) after that. That’s where we both had stool tests done, so romantic…

After that we headed to Ooty, a hill station, nice and cool, then to Kerela to do a back water (over night) cruise. I’ve got to mention that one a bit, only because it was one of the worst nights sleep I’ve had on this 15 month trip.

The daytime was great, nice and relaxing and beautiful. By the time he were ready to sleep though we realized that the tiny fan in our tiny room wasn’t going to help much (it was VERY humid and pretty hot). Besides that, they would have to keep the boat running in order to power the fan (wasn’t gonna happen). We decided (we thought we were the smartest people on earth, by the way) to put some mats on the upstairs deck, under the roof and hang Sarah’s mosquito net. That way we’d catch a nice breeze all night and we wouldn’t have to worry about mossies since we had a net. Brilliant!

Little did we know the mossies called their friends (some tiny little green bugs) and they came in force! When we decided to go to sleep, our sheets weren’t there anymore. Instead there was just a layer of green! Honestly! There were 10’s of thousands of those little Bastard-o’s on our mats, the bugs were small enough to get through the net! Good thing Sarah was there, because she killed all of them by rolling a bottle back and forth over them. Murderer! Well, we didn’t sleep at all that night, since we had to keep covered all night (which made it to hot to sleep) to avoid the bugs! See, you all think it’s fun and games out here, but it’s tough! 😉

We decided we needed some R and R after that, so went back up to Palolem (spl?), Goa. That was nice and well… relaxing. We were on a mission after that though and took a looong train back into Rajasthan (again). We tore that state up, went to six different towns and then checked out the Taj (again). After a quick stop in Delhi, just long enough for a nice long bout of Delhi belly, we jumped over to Veranasi (again). That was great and we met up with an old friend (Jacques, who I’ll be travelling through Pakistan, Iran and Turkey with later on) from the pushkar camel fair and another from our house in Goa. We even got to celebrate Shivatri there, a Bhang induced festival. Varanasi was already getting hot, so we sought refuge from the heat in the form of Darjeeling.

It was nice there, cool but cloudy. There supposed to have some of the best tea in the world there, but we couldn’t find any. We arranged our permits for Sikkim from there and headed up there to do some trekking. It turned out the trekking route that we heard about was all on roads (no fun), so we scrapped that idea and took jeeps from town to town. We checked out Gangtok (the capital) and stayed there for three days do to the killer pizza and coffee. Sikkim was nice, although the clouds and the Indian government (won’t let you go anywhere without an expensive permit) took away from it a bit. I’ll have to go back some other time and do a real trek.

That’s pretty much where I’m at now. Sarah took a train down to Mumbai two days ago and should be there today. She flies home on Monday. 🙁 I’m in Kolkata right now doing a boarder run to Bangladesh for a new visa, since my visa is about to run out on me. I’ve got a bad case of the backpacker blues though and I’ve been entertaining all ( 7 ) of my dorm mates, by singing them (I sound like Stevie Ray…).

I can’t believe I’ve been in India for 6 months already! Koltata is actually much nicer than I expected and I”ve been walking a good 10 kilometers a day to check it out. The problem is that my already hammer shaped index toe (that’s definitely not the right name for it) is now permanently touching my middle toe (must have broke it again recently?) and now I’ve got a nice fat blister in there. Nice and comfy!

Well, my sister Sara will be out here to join me in 11 days (I’m counting the days, can you tell I’m excited?). That should be a bit to much fun and stop my blues singing. 🙂 OK, I think this one’s been long enough. Thanks for staying in touch after so long! Lots of love.



Tags:

Leave a Reply