BootsnAll Travel Network



Hotel Mansion de Los Angeles (Hotel from hell part one)

A quick dash across the square after perusing the Lonely Planet maps (excellent as always) and we were within site of the Hotel Mansion de Los Angeles, our place for the next two nights. We were really looking forward to another rest from travelling, and I congratulated Em on her good booking skills – nicely close to the centre but not TOO close, and it sounded lovely from the guidebook…..

We walked through the door with ruckacks and already sensed a bit of an atmosphere from the receptionist. In our best Spanish we announced who we were and that we´d got a reservation for the next two nights, and that it was pre-paid. We produced the vouncher that we´ve dutifully brought with us from the UK. A little pretend scouring of the paperwork behind the desk (in which time I saw Em´s name written in the reservations book), and the receptionist eventually nodded and handed us the key to room nine. We were left to find out own way, but it wasn´t difficult when you´ve found your way from Guatemala City in the last five days.

The room was out on to a central courtyard, but since it was on the ground floor and in the corner, it was very dark. The walls were the attractive type of Artex that had been living to long i.e. it should be white but instead was a constellation of dirt bits attached to the promontories of plaster. The bathroom was, well, small, in that you had to go in and close the door before you could use either the toilet, shower or sink. But hey, we´re here and we´ve stayed in worse places for twenty five quid a night for two people.

Some type of local family meal was being held in the courtyard adjoining the small, dank and dingey one next to our room, which was fine, until the five piece band started up. This should have given us a clue as to noise levels, but we just smiled and went out for a much needed plate of chicken and chips.

On our return, and needing a quick snooze, we bedded down for an hour, but it was no use, the noise levels we´re really high – and we weren´t anywhere near the road. It was simply the uncovered walls and inconsiderate guests that meant sounds travelled as if the action was next to your ears. And why is it that when people are in hotels they fail to remember how to close doors by turning the handle???? Crash! BANG! Lots of loud laughter! Footsteps (or was it the sound of a horse?!).

After our evening meal we got back and turned the lights off at about 11pm, well and truly shattered after today´s events. At 1.20am our kindly neighbours chose to turn up (yes, the door handle does turn and the TV does not have to be quite so loud), while at 5.30am it was time for pretty much everyone else with stilleto´s to get up, and at 6.15 the local building site kicked into action.

We were already of the mind to leave, but having paid we were reluctant to do so. It turned out our minds were made up for us……..



Tags:

Comments are closed.