BootsnAll Travel Network



Copacabana Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone! It doesn`t feel like Christmas here but then the celebrations appear to be minimal, and we haven`t got the smell of turkey or sprouts in the air or our family around us. We`ve missed our family a lot today – and thought a lot about those we`re missing.

And we saw our first South American cat this morning. At last!

The weather was slightly overcast so we headed out for an explore as it was ideal for walking.

There is a big hill here, again Eugene is better at remembering the names and altitude facts than I. The hill holds the stations of the Cross the whole way up and at the top there are altars and more crucifixes on a more grander scale.

The hill itself is paved, in a similar fashion to the Watkins path on Snowdon. Many people, especially families were making there way up to the top – and reassuringly for us, most were out of breath and had to keep stopping for a little rest. We were really pleased that our training weekends over the past few months seem to have paid off as our bodies felt fine with the ascent and it was just the thin air making us more breathless. Again, we felt at home with all these people and completely safe. There was the odd stall on the way up selling religious icons, nativity scenes, drinks and sweets. Halfway up were some small altars where families had placed statues and pictures of Jesus and Mary and were burning perhaps a bit too much incense!

It felt good to get to the top and the views all round were brilliant. We bought some candles and lit them carefully for those we miss a lot and for our family back at home. More stalls at the top selling toy cars and houses, and plastic money. And food and drinks stalls. There was bit of a party atmosphere up there with some families enjoying food together and many having a beer!

It was much quicker going down and near the bottom we saw our second South American cat. In fact it was a kitten and very cute indeed!

Back in the town, cars and vans queued up outside the cathedral to be blessed. They were decorated with flowers (gladioli being a particular favourite) and doused with alcohol. This is the tradition. Every owner seemed very proud of their decorated vehicle and stood stiffly in front of their car or bus for photos to be taken.

We also took a walk along the Lake promenade. There was definitely a party atmosphere down there with whole families out on day trips. Each with a decorated bus and most adults well under the influence of alcohol. And all the children seemed to be having lots of fun too with the simplest of things – bikes, plastic bags, bucket and spade ,donkey rides – and they are all so well behaved.

Christmas day evening we opened our Daley gifts – brilliant and very thoughtful. Turkey and stuffing flavoured Walkers (slightly crushed!) and chocolate Christmas puddings – so we get a taste of Christmas after all – thanks P&P!

What films were on at home this afternoon? Was there a Bond? And The Poseidon Adventure?



Tags:

One Response to “Copacabana Christmas”

  1. P&P Says:

    Glad you enjoyed the feast!

    Happy Xmas!

    P.s You dont know how lucky you are to get away from the family visits at christmas!!!!!

  2. Posted from United States United States