BootsnAll Travel Network



Impressions from the old lady

In the weeks leading up to our trip, I admit to feeling a little apprehensive about traveling with two girls young enough to be my daughters (admittedly, I would have had to have given birth at an early age, but to someone who went to high school with 4 girls who became pregnant in the ninth grade, it´s not outside the realm of possibility). I just decided, though, to let this trip be a return to my youth, to a time when my age began with a “2” instead of a “3.” time before I had a real job or a house. And for the most part, I´m able to do that. But I keep getting little reminders of my age. The guy at passport control in Minneapolis said to me when he saw my birthdate on my passport “I didn´t think you were that old.” And I realized when we saw the list of fellow trekkers that I, along with a girl named Gayle (who fortuitously will be my tentmate), that I´m the oldest one on the trek. And seeing things through Liz´s young and untraveled eyes reminds me that I´ve been around the block a few times.

But Peru is a new block for me, and I´m really enjoying it. I love the colonial architecture, parades, ladies in traditional dress and the food. I´d also love to write a little more, but Kari just came to tell me it´s 5:15 (5 minutes before we leave on our trek), although my brand new Peruvian watch tells me it´s only 5:00. So more later folks.

Anne



Tags:

12 responses to “Impressions from the old lady”

  1. Sarah says:

    I hope the old lady makes it through the trek okay. I know you’re already started out so won’t be writing for a few days, but I’m looking forward to hearing how it went!

    Love,
    Sarah

  2. Kari's Momma says:

    Anne –
    Perhaps next time you trek around a new block I will be along and then I can be the ‘old’ lady!
    I love that you are sharing this adventure with Kari!
    Hugs to you,
    Patti

  3. Annie's Mama says:

    Annie: You will always be a kid at heart! It was great talking to you last night even if the connection wasn’t the best. By now, you have finished day 1 of the trek–and probably are very relieved and very tired. Just think, when we go on the 3 Day, you may well be in the younger half of the group. We are looking forward to hearing all about your experiences. Tell Guardian Kitty to keep watch over you, Kari, and Liz!

    Love,
    Mama

  4. Anne's Daddy says:

    I’m excited to hear more about the climb. It now appears that I should have joined your group. I would have made the 30-year-old group seem young, too–not just those in their 20’s (or less).

    Anne, your cat loves being brushed. When I brush Olive she comes up and rubs against Olive and wants me to brush her, too.

    Also, your mother cannot access your “comments” page. What is she doing wrong? Is it because she is old, too?

    Love, Daddy

  5. Anne's Daddy says:

    Oops!! I seen that Anne’s mama did get on the site.

    Anne’s Daddy

  6. lindsay says:

    Maybe Anne’s Dad should get his glasses checked out…

  7. Jenna says:

    I don’t know what’s more fun-reading the blog from the travelers or the comments from the bystanders! And, I for one don’t think we’re THAT old Annie….what are you going to do when we really ARE old???
    Can’t wait to hear about the climb…you go girls!!

    Tedda

  8. Anne's Daddy says:

    Real funny, Lindsay — making fun of a decrepit, broken down, old man with failing eyesight, partial dimentia and athlete’s foot. By the way, were you making fun of the “seen” typo or the fact I missed Connie’s blog?

    Traveler girls, we’re eagerly awaiting your pictures. I also want to know if you are using “western” toilets or “squat” toilets in Peru so I can update my “Toilets of the World” book. Pictures would be nice.

    One final question. Is there a way I can make comments on this blog without Lindsay seeing them?

  9. Kari's momma says:

    Ken –
    I have a brand new picture of a shiny “squatty potty” for you from Bulgaria if you’d like to add it to your collection!

  10. Anne's Daddy says:

    Patti: That would be great. I prefer the picture sans person. Otherwise, the view should be reasonably discreet.

  11. Cheryl says:

    Kari,

    Just checking in and being awed by the real, honest-to-goodness exciting enormity of your trek. We here in the lower altitudes of 2nd floor MorH are slogging away and missing you very much. Gosh, Machu Picchu!

    (Be safe.)

  12. cousin Val says:

    We had dinner with Grandma and your folks last night, Annie…. so good to see them all again.

    Following your blog and anxious to hear more about the trip.. safe travels home and have lots of FUN! Enjoyed the pictures and even Grandma came to the library with me to check things out!!! 🙂

    Val

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *