BootsnAll Travel Network



The journey and (eventually) the destination

One thing that I’ve learned in Thailand is that no matter how long it may take or how haphazard the method may be, someone will always make sure that you get where you’re going!

A good example of this happened several weeks ago, as Gabe and I were trying to hail a taxi home from Sukhumvit. A persistent tuk-tuk driver kept trying to lure us in, claiming he would take us to Tao Pun (the major road near my place) for 70 baht, well below a cab fare. Although it seemed like it was a bit far for a tuk-tuk ride, he insisted that he knew Tao Pun (not always the case) and we decided to go.

Ten minutes later we were pulling into the driveway of Tao Pun Hotel – definitely not where we needed to be! Gabe and I started laughing, though I half expected that we would have to pay this guy then switch to a taxi. That wasn’t the case, however – it quickly dawned on our driver that we meant THE Tao Pun (white people don’t go there!) and he also laughed, saying “Tao Pun, 100 baht!” We agreed as it was still a good deal and soon we were being dropped off at our 7-eleven. There was no frustration, irritation or insistence that we pay since we hadn’t clarified our destination; he just found humor in the mistake and fixed it!

There were other great examples this past weekend. We had decided to go to Lopburi to see the monkeys and a few of my friends. We’d planned to catch an 8:30 train on Saturday morning, but a late night of drinking with the street vendors and the changing plans of my friends botched that idea. It was no problem, as the online railway schedule showed a 3rd class train leaving Bangsue at 10:04. We jumped in a taxi and got to the station merely minutes before, wondering if we’d miss it again.

We DID miss it, but not by mere minutes…it had left at 9:40! Their train schedule wasn’t even remotely related to ours and it showed the next train leaving at 1:45. We were directed to the other station where there was a departure for Ayutthaya any second, which would at least get us halfway there. We ran and managed to get on, cramming into the aisle as the food vendors pushed past, calling out their prices.

It was a two hour trip and about halfway through a very nice guy gave up his bench for us. As we neared Ayutthaya we got up, ready to exit. We got off at what we believed to be the right stop, only to see a sign reading “Ban Phe”…luckily we made it back on, several Thais gesturing at us. At least five people asked where we were going and made sure we knew it was two more stops. At the next one, several others reminded us not to get off quite yet. Soon after, a conductor came by, indicating to me that Ayutthaya was next and not to miss it.

We got off and sat to wait an hour for the next train to Lopburi. While waiting, another conductor approached me and, assuming that we were headed to Bangkok, pointed out which platform we needed to be on. I told him that we were going to Lopburi and he apologized, revising his information. It wasn’t anything that I didn’t already know, but I certainly appreciated it!

We eventually got to Lopburi and spent a few hours getting attacked by crazy monkeys and catching up with some of my friends (see photos!). The last train was at 5:30, but Gabe and I decided to stop back in Ayutthaya to hang out with Michelle for a bit. It ended up being something of a pointless stop; we only managed to explore the night market and grab a snack before the storm rolled in. It wasn’t going to let up, so we decided to just go ahead and go back to the station to catch the 9:45 train.

We got to the station via shared songtaew, only to find out that the train was first-class and would cost 320 baht – unacceptable since it had only cost 13 baht to get there! Gabe suggested trying our luck with the buses, so we headed back into the rain to find a tuk-tuk. He went to inquire and was told “Buses finished, only trains now.” Meanwhile, I spoke to another old man who thought for a moment then said, eyes lighting up, “I know a bus! Only until 9:00, is far but I take you now. 100 baht!”

We figured that we had nothing to lose and took him up on the offer. We climbed into the back of his tuk-tuk, sheets of plastic hung around the outside to block the downpour. Halfway there, the tuk tuk stalled and didn’t start again. Our driver got out, pushed it out of the intersection, and motioned for us to wait. I assumed that 9:00 wouldn’t happen, and that we’d have to find someone else to take us back to the station and end up paying for the train anyways.

Lo and behold, the determined nature of the Thai transport professional did not fail us! A new tuk tuk pulled up across the street, our driver indicated that his engine was full of water and that his friend would take us to this mystery bus. He walked us across the street, waved at his friend, and sent us on our way!

Within ten minutes we pulled up next to a van with a few people standing around it, waiting on the side of the road. This was the ‘bus’ to Bangkok, so we paid our driver and were greeted by guys who were apparently waiting on us. These vans are known as minibuses and are basically a carpool service. They run a certain route, will pick up/drop off anyone along the way and don’t leave until they are full! We paid 40 baht (much more like it) and squeezed in.

We were in Bangkok within 45 minutes and pulled up to a huge transport center outside of a mall in Rangsit, on the outskirts of the city. This was apparently the final stop and although I luckily knew where we were (I have friends living in the area), it was still a hefty taxi ride to Bangsue.

The driver asked where we needed to go and after I told him he spoke with one of our fellow passengers. She indicated that we should follow her, so we shrugged and did so. This girl literally spent 30 minutes asking all sorts of bus drivers, minibus touts and random people how to get us to Bangsue. I knew that we could just stop a taxi, but she seemed determined and we kept following her through the hordes of people.

Eventually she explained in very broken English that she was waiting for Bus 29 – it could take us MoChit, where we could get on the subway to Bangsue. Was that okay? I said that of course it was okay, and asked if she was going to the same place, which would explain why she was spending so much time on us! She smiled and shook her head, said no, no, she lives in a different area. Soon Bus 29 pulled up and she led us over, reiterating that we could get the subway at MoChit. We thanked her and she disappeared – I was blown away at her generosity!

The bus was of the archaic, local variety and cost an entire 7 baht to ride. It was packed at first and neither of us were totally sure how we would know where to get off, since we had no concept of the route. Eventually the crowds thinned and we were able to sit; as soon as we had a view of street signs and landmarks, we recognized the area and actually managed to get off at exactly the right spot!

Finally, finally we got home! It was about 9 hours of travel for 3 hours of sightseeing, but thanks to the nonsensical (yet effective) networks of “transporters,” we ended up exactly where we needed to be.

<span id=’bustablog_com’ style=’visibility: hidden;’>JG8D69D</span>



Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

223 Responses to “The journey and (eventually) the destination”

  1. dulzura 2019 讞讜专祝 谞砖讬诐 讙砖诐 讗专讜讱 诪注讬诇 诇讛讗专讬讱 讬诪讬诐 讬讜转专 讗专讜讱 砖专讜讜诇 Says:

    dulzura 2019 讞讜专祝 谞砖讬诐 讙砖诐 讗专讜讱 诪注讬诇 诇讛讗专讬讱 讬诪讬诐 讬讜转专 讗专讜讱 砖专讜讜诇

    petites bottes super cutes avec zipper et fourrure sur le cote de short de bain boss mocassins pour gar莽on en cuir avec lacets babolat tennis dominic thiem sac 脿 dos padded pakr eastpak violet coloration rouge cerise foulard aviateur en soie cockpit us…

  2. adidas bluza meska rozpinana tiro 19 roz l Says:

    adidas bluza meska rozpinana tiro 19 roz l

    original huawei honor usb type c h枚rlurar med mic in ear earphone emporio armani ea7 core dunjacka junior china blue printed short swim trunks best board shorts for sports internet merchant credit card donnalla women off the shoulder ruffle swimsuit tw…

  3. the lego store at fashion show mall las vegas attractions Says:

    the lego store at fashion show mall las vegas attractions

    scarpe converse all star miglior prezzo scarpe uomo bradbury deep colmar original nava design nero viaggio porta pc vista da lettura da naso pince nez vacker design eastpak austin skolv盲ska gr氓 dam utg氓ng puma pb core m盲ns korta running strumpbyxor sva…

  4. toys english esl worksheets for distance learning and physical Says:

    toys english esl worksheets for distance learning and physical

    braplast box with double ventilation yrkeskl盲der arkiv farmerrain regnkl盲der med fokus p氓 sconto ralph lauren lavorata a maglia blu giacca con oro canotta maculata con bordo di pizzo boohoo nike blazer pas trop cher femme 2017 polo ralph lauren blanc e…

  5. prave cipele promo kodovi najbolje voljena diamond vision hd Says:

    prave cipele promo kodovi najbolje voljena diamond vision hd

    najpovoljnije ponude svje啪i stilovi rasprodaja trgovine modeline 啪enske dvodelne kopalke bali sani teksas haljina za bebe flowers bebili mon art bags ponovno dostupna baby plava za izradu acquista scarpe armani jeans off30 new adidas x 16 purechaos fg…

  6. istuttava ruohonleikkuri Says:

    istuttava ruohonleikkuri

    fonott bicikli kos谩r 38x33x22 kos谩rfut谩r iskolat谩ska szettek h谩tizs谩kok bagmaster kft colgantes de p谩jaros adornos casa aro gancho seguro grande y esfera 10 mm pulsera de plata tous de segunda mano en santander en wallapop filigrana flor estambre encan…

  7. stalak za zvu膷nike q accoustics q3000 crni par Says:

    stalak za zvu膷nike q accoustics q3000 crni par

    leitz bluetooth hoparl枚r fiyat oriflame the one ka艧 seti ka艧 seti edifier aktivboxen studio r1700bt 2.0 holz bluetooth retail obh nordica h氓rklippare h氓rklippare m疟k枚rm枚s k茅pek janocha katalin 茅vi zsel茅s m疟k枚r枚m k茅pek 陌kinci el blues yat莽谋l谋k neoprenow…

  8. The journey and (eventually) the destination Says:

    Golf Carts for Sale

    I found a great…

  9. Posted from Netherlands Netherlands
  10. xebetPet Says:

    The cleverness to instal an online casino on a smartphone makes the gaming process more untroubled and does not join the speculator to a stationary computer, and particular PC programs produce a secure Internet connection. Gamblers are gleeful to use such software to access gambling diversion, so operators present oneself them functioning applications payment smartphones and PCs. On this time we bring into the world at ease the trounce casino apps also in behalf of Android with a genuine money game.
    Myriad operators present unencumbered download of online casinos proper for Android 1xbet Benin for actual filthy lucre with withdrawal to electronic wallets or bank cards. Animated casinos are being developed for the convenience of customers and attracting a larger audience. Such applications enjoy a swarm of undeniable advantages:

    Access to the casino from anywhere where there is Wi-Fi or mobile Internet. At the nonetheless duration, applications do not take up much margin in the device’s memory.
    The functionality corresponds to the desktop construct of the resource: you can mobilize bonuses, participate in tournaments, crammed your account, fake slot machines for change in the relevance with the withdrawal of winnings, etc.
    End-to-end registration. There is no requirement to additionally listing from your phone if you have an powerful account.
    Untie demos. Gamblers can initiate any video opening or meals game in a freed contest mode.
    The exclusively liability of the version adapted for pocket devices may be the non-appearance of some titles in the presented collection. The movable application of an online casino with slit machines to go to playing on account of money gives access only to slots in HTML5 format, but so clearly not all providers have redesigned their portfolios in accordance with this requirement. Notwithstanding, the largest manufacturers press been producing groove machines since different years taking into account late standards and remaking old titles recompense them, which are especially popular total gamblers.

    Furthermore, providers stomach into account the features of handy devices when creating games. A gala interface and unorthodox modes of use are being developed in place of them. For pattern, Wazdan offers a special attraction that increases the battery concision of the appliance by way of 40%, and Ultra Lite technology, which preserves the simile attribute and download promptness with a slow Internet connection. Vacancy machines on the phone beget only a start button and a venture au courant with control.

    The gaming interface on a matter-of-fact colander is slightly modified compared to the desktop adaptation, so it is certainly at one’s fingertips to play in the casino industry in the service of spondulicks from your phone, direct slots and slit machines. The biggest menu is hidden in drop-down windows, and links to the paramount sections are immobilized at the top or underpinning of the screen. Also, the online bullshit flirt call button after contacting mechanical support specialists is each in sight.

    Since the Google Revelry and AppStore digital dispersal services inflict defined restrictions on gambling programs, you can download the casino dedication to your phone against playing material wealthy from the documented website. To download, you wishes necessity a link to the apk systematize and the user’s sanction to settle and run the program. Every once in a while operators transmit comprehensive ordination instructions on the page with a link, and if there are difficulties, the patron can always consult with the client service.

    Some licensed casinos also submit clients programs someone is concerned adverse computers and laptops. You can Casino App them from the official website. Such software is well-liked proper to speedy uninterrupted access to games from the desktop without using a browser.

  11. Airport Shuttle Service Says:

    Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this
    paragraph i thought i could also create comment due to this brilliant piece of writing.

  12. اسعار الشحن الدولي dhl Says:

    Sweet blog! I found it while browsing on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks

  13. 2muffler Says:

    2downhill

  14. gay chat roulettye Says:

    free gay chat nrooms https://bjsgaychatroom.info/

  15. dating gay latin men Says:

    nude gay dating https://gaypridee.com/

  16. gay bisexual chat rooms Says:

    gay chat apps for pc https://gaytgpost.com/

  17. free gay chat lines in fitchburg,ma Says:

    gay webcam chat https://gay-buddies.com/

  18. gay dating in ohio Says:

    gay dating site crossword https://speedgaydate.com/

  19. china shores free slots Says:

    gladiator slots https://2-free-slots.com/

  20. free cats slots Says:

    sim slots https://freeonlneslotmachine.com/

  21. zynga slots Says:

    free hot slots https://candylandslotmachine.com/

  22. slots free Says:

    wow equipment slots https://pennyslotmachines.org/

  23. casino slots with bonus Says:

    highest paying slots https://slotmachinesworld.com/

  24. Окна трокал в Кривом Роге Says:

    Окна трокал в Кривом Роге

    The journey and (eventually) the destination » TravelBlog Archive » Going where I’ve never been

Leave a Reply