BootsnAll Travel Network



Things I like about Turkey (besides the abundance of baklava)

  • Healthy looking, friendly stray cats roam around the city (and thanks, Kathy for the hand sanitizer – it certainly comes in handy after petting stray cats).
  • The overnight bus has drinks and snacks served to you by a bus host or hostess. Counteracts the horrors of having to sit through two hours of a Lance Henriksen movie dubbed in Turkish.
  • Rosewater is sprinkled on your hands after meals (or after using public toilets — public toilets should probably also be on this list. Almost always has toilet paper and you can usually take your pick between a western and squat toilet depending on your mood).
  • St. John the Baptist’s arm bone and top of his skull are located in the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. Very cool.
  • And the best one yet — everyone thinks we are French!

-s

Tags: ,



2 Responses to “Things I like about Turkey (besides the abundance of baklava)”

  1. Mark Says:

    Two questions:

    – which is the mood that would make one opt to use the squat toilet?

    – whatever you are oding to be mistaken for French — can you keep it up?

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. admin Says:

    First question: İ’m sure you can imagine many scenarios in public toilets where one might want to squat rather than sit. İ will say no more on the subject.

    Second question: While in Cappadocia when İ pressed the cafe owner to explain why İ looked French, he said that I had rosy cheeks. İ thought it was because İ had just been hiking up a hill made of soft volcanic tuff for the past 30 minutes so I dismissed his remark. However yesterday another person explained that İ had the face of a French woman. İ don’t really know what that means, but İ don’t plan on changing anything on my face anytime soon. İ rather like being mistaken as French.

  4. Posted from Turkey Turkey

Leave a Reply