BootsnAll Travel Network



Sightseeing in Istanbul

We made it to Istanbul at 3 a.m. on Wednesday morning and we figure by now people are beginning to wonder what might have happened to us. Have we kept you in suspense long enough? Sorry, we didn’t mean too – we’ve just been too tired to blog. Although the hostel we are staying in has wireless we can only access it from the lobby which makes it a lot less convenient than blogging while sitting around your room watching BBC Prime, the only English-language channel we can get.

We’ve done the touristy stuff for the past two days as well as just wandering around the city trying to get lost. While walking around we’ve run into some fantastic sites and smells (there’s a kebab stall on every corner – yes, it’s all about the food for me). Here are some pictures we’ve taken in the past few days.

Mosaic Museum

Large piece of mosaic from the Great Palace Mosaic Museum which Derek took me to. The mosaics were part of a palace built around the 6th century which no longer exists, although the mosaics have been excavated and put into their original position 20 feet or so below current ground level. The mosaic floor runs at least 100 feet long, although I’m horrible with dimensions so maybe it was longer, maybe it was shorter. Seemed pretty darn big to me.

Inside Suleymani Mosque
A highlight thus far – the Suleymani Mosque.

Blue Mosque

Outside the Blue Mosque. We went during prayer time so we couldn’t go inside – maybe we’ll try to visit it again today.

Tags: ,



No Responses to “Sightseeing in Istanbul”

  1. Mark Says:

    Oh my god, Sarah’s gone native. You might want to hole up in Turkey for a while…

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. dez Says:

    yes. you are alive.. or at least you were this morning. that’s good to know. now, i know you have access in the lobby, you are NO EXCUSE to not write me back and allay my worries.

    worry worry worry.

    Maybe you should stay in istanbul.. you seem to be enjoying it.. 🙂 Mmmm… then every time i think of where you are I can hum. I like to hum.

    hahahaa. ok, i need a nap. bye.

  4. Posted from Russian Federation Russian Federation
  5. dez Says:

    hehe. it knows i posted that from Russia! Wow.. the internet is awesome.

  6. Posted from Russian Federation Russian Federation
  7. dez Says:

    omg, dont read any of my messages, i’m a raving moron.

  8. Posted from Russian Federation Russian Federation
  9. Shawn & Marjorie Says:

    Hey guys – glad you are safe. Love the blog – and miss you both. Let us know what you will be up to. Flying to Egypt?? – Shawn

  10. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply