BootsnAll Travel Network



Lazy Sunday in Edinburgh

I got ready to leave the house for a walk around the neighborhood this afternoon. I wanted to go wander through the narrow streets and ogle at the multi-storied, 17th century stone buildings covered in years of grim, however as I slung my purse around my shoulder the sky turned grey and down came the rain. Sounds of thunder rumbled through the sky accompanied by quick flashes of lightening. Funny. Looks like the DC flood of 2006 may have followed us here.

So, we turned on the Brazil-France match we taped the night before and although I knew that France won the game, I was still on the edge of my seat as Brazil tried in vain in the last ten minutes of the game to even up the score. What a game!!

We got to Edinburgh on Friday afternoon after a long flight from Dulles to Edinburgh, via Amsterdam. It was incredibly difficult to leave DC, not only because we were leaving our apartment, our friends, and our life in DC for the foreseeable future, but because we ended up sitting on the tarmac at Dulles for three and a half hours before being cleared for departure. Apparently storms over the east coast closed down the airport and so we sat, and sat, and sat on the plane while the captain came over the intercom system every half hour or so, lifting up our hopes of leaving and then crushing them again.

But we are here now, staying with a friend of ours we met while in Japan. She’s an incredible friend and host, not to mention a fantastically creative cook. I don’t plan to do much in Edinburgh except to sit around and chat while eating yummy canapes and, apparently, watching the rain fall.

-s

Tags: ,



2 Responses to “Lazy Sunday in Edinburgh”

  1. Kirsten Says:

    The most fun, slightly cheesy thing I did in Edinburgh was take one of those ghost tours. There’s a bridge that was all built over by houses and shops so that you’d barely know it was there, but people used to work and live under/inside it, criminals hid out there, etc. Archeologists have started figuring out what the different areas were for, so the tour actually takes you through these weird closed in bridge caverns. It was really interesting, if you ignored the ghost talk.

  2. Posted from Japan Japan
  3. Madeline Says:

    Rain in Edinburgh? Sounds DREAMY.

Leave a Reply