BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m in Cairo

I’ve been feeling a bit blogged out lately. Too many countries, too many experiences. Is there such a thing as blogger fatigue?But, for all those interested, here’s a brief note that will hopefully be supplemented by a larger post soon. Matteo and I are now in Egypt (Kwa heri East Africa), and are currently looking to rent a room in the city for a month or two so we can rest, learn some Arabic, and finally focus on those pesky graduate school applications. Cairo is wonderful– a big, global city with lots to do; good shwarma sandwiches for $1; outdoor cafes where you can sip mint tea or fresh strawberry juice while watching the world go by; beautiful buildings reminiscent of early-20th century British and French architecture; and a friendly population that’s out and about at all hours. I’m really looking forward to staying for awhile. (A cute note on “friendliness”: I recently told an Egyptian that I loved Cairo. He replied, “And Cairo loves you!”) And no, it’s not as hot, as polluted, or as crazy as everyone makes it out to be. Either Matteo and I are becoming quite used to chaos or we embrace city life far better than most people. (But then again, while attempting to cross a clogged street yesterday, an Egyptian girl whom I was using as a human shield against the cars turned to me and gleefully said in broken, but fully understandable English, “I’m going to die!” Maybe she wasn’t from Cairo.)I’ll get around to a better post later…



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “I’m in Cairo”

  1. Aunt T says:

    WOW – I do not even know what to say – if you ever come home and even if it is little ol’ Los Angeles or New Youk City – you are going to be soooooo beyond bored – if you can send me any pictures of your pretty face I would love it – i miss you very much

    I keep getting ask when you are coming home and I say I do not think you will and will continue to travel forever. With all of the experience, change of scenery, culture, food – why would you 🙂

    I love you very much and will continue to wish you many safe adventures and lots and lots of love –

    I am making myself cry now as usual 🙂 got to go 🙂

    Love aunt T

  2. Aunt Stacey says:

    How funny, Cairo actually sounds like NY, if you have to use people as human shields! What an adventure you are having!

    The girls start school on your birthday and I have been mulling over the idea of joining the PTA, that’s excitement to me!

    Love you!

    Sorry I missed you Bday call BTW, and thank you so much for remembering, as always!

    Aunt S-

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *