BootsnAll Travel Network



Sydney – Another night in an airport

I landed in Sydney airport at about 11pm, and, knowing I’d have to be back there by 6am to check in for my flight to New Zealand, decided it wouldn’t be worth heading out to a hotel or hostel. So, not for the first time, and no doubt not for the last, I settled down to a night in an airport.

And boy, was it grim. Worse than Bangkok, if that’s possible. At least there I was left to my own devices. Here, we were all corralled into a tiny area, actually locked in (if I’d have got there any later, I wouldn’t have been able to get into the international area from the domestic terminal. It was cold, being just near the doors, and I ended up pulling on my bobble hat just to keep me a bit warmer. Also, Sydney was experiencing unprecedentedly heavy rains, so the roof kept springing leaks. With that and the goodbye in Brisbane, dear reader, I was not in my most joyful of moods.

This got even worse when, around midnight, security guards came, woke us all up, and asked to see tickets and passports. I can sort of see the logic, but believe me – even if I was a hobo, I can think of more pleasant places to spend the night. One guy started arguing with them as to their authority with regards to seeing the passport, which provided a mildly amusing diversion.

Needless to say, I got barely any sleep, and as soon as the doors to the desks opened at 4am, I was up there, desperate to check in. I had to wait an hour or so, which I passed by kicking my heels and looking pitiful, until they finally let me check in.

Thankfully, my flight to Christchurch left on time, and, thankfully, I had something wonderful waiting at the end; for the second time in as many months, I was going to see yet another branch of my wonderful family. Look out New Zealand, here I come!



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Sydney – Another night in an airport”

  1. Mum says:

    Suze, I’m sure this night at the airport wouldn’t have been half as bad had Andy been with you.

    Love and miss you lots
    Mum

  2. Andy says:

    There’s lovely. (It’s ok for me to say it)