BootsnAll Travel Network



Airlie Beach/Brisbane – “Heroes”

We always knew it would be a long haul to get back down to Brisbane from Airlie Beach in two days, but it was the only option to us if we wanted to see the Whitsundays. I had an early flight out of Sydney on the 7th, which meant getting a late flight from Brisbane to Sydney on the 6th. So, no choice – I had to be back in Brisbane by the 6th. We were really sensible and careful about the driving, doing two hours on, two hours off, and taking rest stops as and when we felt we needed them – or, rather, when the other one insisted that we take them.

Part of our plan was, on the last day, to go to Steve Irwin’s Australia Zoo, about 70km or so out of Brisbane. We’d been planning it since the start of the trip, and were both pretty excited. So I’m sure you can imagine our reaction when, a few hours into the first day’s driving, the reports started coming through that he had been killed by a stingray off Port Douglas. I guess our first reactions were the same as everybody else’s – disbelief that someone with so much energy could be killed. In a sense, though, considering his job, I suppose it was waiting to happen. Our immediate thoughts and sympathy were, and still are, with his wife, children, parents and friends. What a horrible thing to go through. Some of the other reactions, though, I have to admit, brought a grim smile to my face. The comparisons to Princess Diana, the offer of a state funeral, weren’t really what we were expecting to hear for a guy off the tv who wrestled crocodiles. I also smiled at the constant assertions that stingrays weren’t dangerous animals. Erm, did you or did you not hear the part that said he was killed BY A STINGRAY? Case closed, surely?! We were determined still to go to the zoo if it was still open, though, knowing it would have been “what Steve wanted”…

The first night we stopped in Gladstone, at the friendliest campsite to date, with a legendary guy called Stan running it. Out for a Chinese and to polish off a bottle of Everton wine! We both got very excited about this. Again, too long in a camper van.

More of the same the next day – two hours on, two hours off, flying past all the stops we’d made on the way up. We were aiming for Noosa and there were definite high fives for Team Bowie when we made it, and in good time. This was nearly the end of the road, but we like it so much the first time round we stayed there again.

We went out for the most perfect night out – cocktails, dinner in the most wonderful plush restaurant (check us backpackers out!), followed by strolls on the deserted beach lit only by the moon. Blessed by happiness, yet again. A moment to remember for a lifetime.

And so, the last day with the campervan, the day we would go to the Australia Zoo and my last day with Andy. One thing at a time.

The zoo was poignant, I guess, with all the tributes left outside. We left our own – Andy had a Welsh flag spare (don’t ask), on which we wrote Goodbye Mate, Crikey! Or something along those lines. Most amusing to write on the Welsh flag from Andrew (Wales) and Suzanne (England). We laid it down and, as we stood looking at the other tributes, the photographers started clicking away. Andy kept muttering in my ear, “don’t look now, but they’re taking our photo”. Lots of them. We stayed there, looking sad, for as long as possible before we got a very inappropriate fit of the giggles and had to go inside.

Life inside the zoo was business as usual. All the regular shows were carrying on. It was strange to see Steve’s face everywhere, but that’s just the way it is, I suppose. We saw Graham the crocodile, and a couple of lovely tigers (reminding me of the time I took Gabi to the zoo when she was a tot, and she exclaimed, “Oh, what a lovely tiger”). It really is a good place, with a heavy emphasis on conservation, and I’d urge anyone in the area to go.

Before long we were back in Brisbane, and had the sad job of handing David Bowie back to his owners. Goodbye David, we had some golden years (golden days, really) with you, and have had an absolute blast. One of the outstanding highlights of my trip so far have been those nine days in the campervan.

Andy was staying in Brisbane for a few more days, so he settled into his hotel and then, a couple of hours later, it was time to set off for the airport. I’ll spare you all the details but the goodbye was sad and not pretty. So Andy, goodbye for now, miss you, bach. And thank you. I’ll remember this forever.

Goodbye for now, Andy



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Airlie Beach/Brisbane – “Heroes””

  1. Andy says:

    Right back at ya Cariad. x

  2. Andy says:

    Where did these photos come from?

    Dwi’n caru ti! x