BootsnAll Travel Network



Rockhampton – Let’s Dance

Welcome to my 100th blog! You should get a telegram from the Queen for reading this far.

Rocking up to Rockhampton, we were very excited by all the cows that we were seeing. Let me clarify. There are more than two million cattle within a 250km radius of the city, and that could mean only one thing: steak!

We celebrated another successful day on the road when we got to the camp site by getting out of the van and doing our trademark dance. There were a number of songs that had been following us since Sydney, and we busted a groove to two of these, Mr Brightside by The Killers, and Place Your Hands by Reef, on the grass next to the van. Not quite dancing in the street, but dancing on the grass. No doubt endearing us to our middle class, middle aged neighbours. I’m sure I heard the mutter of “there goes the neighbourhood” as we rolled in to town. We then celebrated even more by doing a big pile of laundry. Oh, the glamour!

Because of all the laundry excitement, it was quite late (by Rockhampton standards, anyway), and it was just before 9pm by the time we got to the restaurant/bar/club. It was a strange drive there, looking very country and western, and very American. Yet this is not America – it’s the Australian take on it. We only had a couple of minutes, so we both ordered the biggest steak with all the works. Washed down with a bottle of wine, it was deeeelish.

The main reason we’d chosen that place was that it was everything rolled in to one – somewhere to eat, have a few drinks, listen to a band, and dance. And after we’d eaten and drank, we danced up a storm for the second time that evening. Again, the same songs that had been following us throughout Australia came up, and so we gave it some welly on the dance floor, jazz hands flying all over the place. Pure magic moment.

Andy

The male:female ration was distinctly off, though, with there being about 20 guys to every one girl (not an exaggeration in the slightest). It made it feel a bit of a meat market – ironic in a place that thrives on actual meat markets.

Full, happy, and with our dancing shoes worn out, we headed back to David Bowie, preparing for a long drive the next day.



Tags: ,

One response to “Rockhampton – Let’s Dance”

  1. Mum says:

    Suze does this still count as your 100th blog?

    Love you lots
    Mum

  2. Andy says:

    We’ll always have Rockhampton! x