BootsnAll Travel Network



Pinnewala – Can I take one home please?

Kandy is well placed, pretty central in the country, so I decided to base myself there for a couple of days and take some day trips to outlying areas. And absolutely number one must see in my book, and the Lonely Planet, which is actually my book, was the Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage.

Established in 1975 as a way to look after baby elephants orphaned or abandoned by their families, it has grown and grown and is now, I suppose, more like a sanctuary – the babies there these days have mostly been born there, although you do see some young elephants bearing the scars of troubled times – one has no foot on one leg because he stood on a landmine, another has one ear missing because a tiger took a fancy to it. It’s tough being an ellie.

I was going to battle my way there and back on the bus or train, but checking how to get there, all the instructions involved about half a page worth of “and change when you get to the little crossroads by the banana seller, then change bus again by the tree with the monkeys, then flag down any bus heading north”. Frankly, I was in a mood where I just couldn’t be bothered – missing India, and a bit unnerved about the bomb, so I decided to get a tuk tuk there. I got the guy (Indika) down to about half the price he started on, and we set off. He was pretty cool, apart from his tendency to keep saying to me “and later tonight, we will go to the mountains and drink beer?” Me: “Umm, not so much, no”. He took it like a man, though.

It took about an hour to get there, up and down some winding roads, but finally we got there, just as it was opening, which was good as then I could get my full day’s worth. Indika stayed with me – I’d sort of assumed he would stay with the tuk tuk – but instead he became my unofficial guide for the whole thing. He knew the names of the elephants – either that or he was just lying to me, which is a possibility as well.

I took about a gazillion photos in the first 3 minutes of being in there, like paparrazi round Chantelle and Preston (and please, people, call yourselves friends? How come I had to find out from Dave that they were engaged? Look alive, folks!). One of the workers started beckoning me forward, but nobody would go, until he caught my eye. I was the only one brave slash stupid enough to step forward and stroke an elephant like it was a little puppy. He took my photo (the worker, not the elephant – although THAT I would pay good money to see), and then sidled up to me in a spy-like manner but, instead of saying “the red squirrel flies at dawn”, he muttered, “tip, you give me tip”. You know what comes next… I exclaimed “TIP?” in a loud enough voice so the boss heard, and walked off, laughing and shaking my head.

Apart from the mercenary workers, though, the orphanage was just ace. We saw them being fed (I have a feeling this was more for the benefit of the tourists, but what the heck, they were the cutest things ever), and then they walk through the village to the river for their bath. Much playing and rolling about in mud ensued. The elephants seemed to enjoy the river, as well.

I eventually tore myself away, and headed back to Kandy, with a stolen baby elephant stashed in my bag.



Tags: ,

2 responses to “Pinnewala – Can I take one home please?”

  1. Michael says:

    Stealing elephants from an orphanage – going on your past exploits I wouldn’t put it past you.

    I’m a bit disappointed at your lack of basic humour when it’s presented on a plate: requests for tips should always be met with “Don’t eat yellow snow” or perhaps to suit the occasion “Don’t stand behind an elephant when it’s reversing.”

    In other news… (sorry I don’t really do celebrity gossip) Wayne Rooney has broken two metatarsal bones which may rule him out of the world cup. Sven has promised to include him in the squad if there’s a chance he will be fit in time for the final. And Steve McClaren is due to be named Sven’s successor in the England hot seat.

    ttfn.
    Michael

  2. Anonymous says:

    I want a baby elephant too!

    Thanks for the postcard!

    Take care!

    xxx

  3. angela says:

    Hi Suze, good to hear from you again, haven’t much news this end, but re your Blog
    all i can say is Aah! i love elephants[especially baby ones]look forward to the snapshots.
    Your Mum and Irene came to see me last night, and had me laughing away with the tales of their antics in China.Clare and i are visiting Irene this Sunday.
    You take good care of yourself and as always God go with you. Enjoy yourself love from Angela xxx

  4. Mum says:

    Hi Suze – Ah, all those baby elephants. I remember when I was in Kruger National Park seeing a family of elephants and one of them was tiny (well tiny for an elephant). Our guide told us it was probably just one day old. I think the South African elephants must be much more caring as I dont think there is any need for a sanctuary as the parents obviously all take care of their babies!

    Hope Gabi soon gets to see her “adopted” elephant in Chester Zoo then she can exchange elephant tales with you.

    Love you (and the baby elephants) lots

    Mum