BootsnAll Travel Network



Perth – Old and Young

The next few days in Perth were just as busy as the first.  Mike kept up the standards of Rollos tours well, and I’m pretty sure he’s missed his true calling.  Best tour guide in town (goes to all the places the red bus doesn’t!).

The first stop, somewhat oddly, was the dead centre of Perth.  The cemetery (thanks mum for the joke!).  But hang on.  Before you start thinking that Mike has lost his marbles, this is apparently the best place to see kangaroos in Perth – wild ones, anyway, which is always, always better than seeing them caged up.  Dusk and dawn are the best times to spot them, but we were a bit later than that, so weren’t hugely optimistic.  However, the roos must have heard I was in town – because boy, did they put on a show for me.  Just coming round a corner, we looked up to one particular green lawn and there were loads of them – must have been a good 40 or 50 of them, just hanging out, eating, hopping a bit.  So funny, so strange, one of nature’s practical jokes.  I’ve seen them on tv, of course, but was lucky enough to get quite close up to them for the mandatory million photos.  One in particular had a joey in her pouch, so I was convinced she was going to either leg it or box my ears, but no, she seemed to like having her photo taken.  Result!

Then, just to make sure the tours were complete, Mike took me out into the hills surrounding Perth.  This would complete the list of the valleys, the beaches, the city, and the hills.  Every face of Perth was covered on this amazing tour.  It’s a different world up in the hills – very quiet and peaceful, although if I was settling there I’d have done the same as Mike and headed for the beach.  The houses in the hills are surrounded by bush, and so are always at risk from bush fires.  I was amazed to hear that the majority of bush fires are started deliberately.  Considering the damage, destruction, and heartbreak they can cause, this was a truly shocking thing to hear.

Our destination out in the hills was a little place called The Packing Shed.  Mike had discovered this on one of his previous jaunts out into the country, and I don’t know how he ever found it – it’s a real hidden gem.  We sat inside (too cold to be outside), soaking up the atmosphere provided by the lovely, lovely ladies who ran it.  Like a couple of old dears ourselves, we ordered a pot of tea for two and some cake each.  All fabulous, and we nattered for ages and put the world to rights.

Beverages were firmly the focus of the day that day, as the next stops were a beautiful winery with amazing views down across the valley, and, finally, a great brewery – and, best of all, by now the weather had picked up and outside seating was definitely on the menu.  More chatting – we’re pretty much in the same place politically, so we had lots to talk about!  Back at the house, I had a wonderful time chatting to mum on Skype for the first time since I’ve been away (thankyou LOADS to both Mike and Joan for your help sorting that one out – I appreciate it, from the bottom of my heart).

On Saturday, I had my first big night out in Australia.  Neil and Laura had a friend whose 30th birthday it was (how old!), and I was very kindly invited out to the party.  A big group of us first met in a pub, then were bussed out to the Duckstein Brewery in the Swan Valley.  It’s a real big German oompah type place, with lots of beer, wine, and German food on the menu.  We were in a marquee outside, so we were very glad of the heaters provided!  I loved trying the wine there (such a joy, still, after so many months of enforced beer drinking in Asia), and I liked the food as well, though Neil and Laura were a tad disappointed with theirs.  Should have gone for the good old steak, guys!  Much drinking and chatting later, we were once again on the bus (much livelier this time – wonder why?!), and then headed to a club.  Where I got the highlight not just of my trip, but I think of the year (or my life even!).  I got stopped by the bouncer, wereupon the following conversation took place:

Bouncer:  I’m going to need to see some id, love

Me:            (Barely able to speak with laughing): Do you know how old I am?

Bouncer:  I’ve got no idea

Me:             I’m going to be 30 in 10 days time

Bouncer:  Get in

Lovin it.  Must be all the stress that travelling brings on!

We all danced up a storm, and I loved dancing to Kylie in Australia.  Doesn’t get better than that.  We were there till late, and then back to Neil and Laura’s for the night.

The next day everyone was a bit tender around the edges (especially Neil, who could barely talk!), so it was a quiet one.  Laura and I took their dog, Bailey, for a walk, basking in the sunshine, and then it was back to Mike and Sheila’s for my first Aussie Barbeque.  Really ticking everything off the ‘to do’ list at a fast old rate!

On Monday, I took myself into Perth for the day, using their brilliant public transport system.  Clean, efficient, easy to follow.  A gem, as is the city.  It’s quite a small city, and the nice folks at Lonely Planet had helpfully suggested a walking tour that would take me to all the sights.  I followed that, and it really struck me how much I like Perth.  Yes, as a city it’s relatively quiet (especially in Winter), but it was homely and friendly, with some lovely old – and new – buildings, and friendly people – someone stopped me as he saw me looking at my map, and just wanted to make sure I knew where I was going.  How nice.  I had lunch down by the river, next to the very strange rocket-like bell tower which has got mixed reviews in Perth, and then did a spot of shopping.  What a good place.

And that was virtually that for my stay in Perth.  Neil and Laura came round for dinner that night (chicken in marsala sauce with mash – another one of my favourites!) – and then it was time for farewells and to go to the airport for my flight just after midnight.  It was sad to say goodbye to the Aussie Rolstons, but yet at the same time, I’m so happy that I’ve got to put faces to names that have been familiar for so long, and got to know another branch of my wonderful family.  I’m so very grateful for Mike, Sheila, Neil and Laura for making me feel so very welcome and feel so wonderfully at home straight away.  It was exactly what I needed after so long away from home, and I can’t wait to see you all again – soon!



Tags: ,

Comments are closed.