BootsnAll Travel Network



Perth – Family Ties

Landing in Perth was strange. Flying there from Hong Kong we’d seen the most amazing sunrise out of the plane window – a fitting metaphor, I guess, from a new city, country, and continent in one swoop. It was a breath of fresh air to arrive somewhere so completely familiar, even though I’d never been before. The signs were in my language. It was even cold, just like back home! My first taste of the legendary Australia laid-back attitude was with the lovely immigration people. I’ve always wondered why immigration officials round the world are some of the most grumpy people you could meet, as if they’re doing you a favour by allowing you to come into their country. Australia, though, was a breath of fresh air. The woman was chatting to me about my plans and so on, and then asked me if I was staying with family while I was here. I told her I was, and she asked what relation they were to me. How to explain this one? Mike’s grandmother and my great-grandmother were sisters. I think that makes us 4th cousins, and I wasn’t going to work that one out so early in the morning. I simply laughed, and said it was a long story. Can you imagine doing that at any other immigration point in the world? The rubber gloves would be snapped on before you could say anything further.

My flight was early, but I only had to wait a few minutes before Mike was there. We’d never met before, but recognised each other from photos and, I guess, that family feeling! And with that, the tour began, and didn’t stop until I left Perth six days later. Mike explained that the airport was on the opposite side of the city to Mullaloo, where he and Sheila live, and began pointing out sights on our way. It was amazing to stop at my first Australian beach, and, even though it was really early in the morning and pretty chilly, there were surfers out in the water, trying to catch the big early waves. Rather them than me. Back at the house, I was made to feel at home instantly, such is Mike and Sheila’s wonderful hospitality. I met Sheila and their crazy dog, Gabi, when they came back in from their walk. I’d heard lots about Gabi, but nothing had prepared me for her playfulness. She’s as demanding and as sweet as a toddler, and all she wants from life is to play. And why not?

After a spot of lunch and some settling-in, Mike decided to get me out and about in Perth. As we headed to the car, he said the magic words. “Do you fancy going to see some of the wineries?” Music to my ears indeed. We headed out into the Swan Valley to two of the biggest wineries in the area, Sandalfords and Houghtons. My first proper introduction to Australian wine, it was wonderful – both were run by friendly, knowledgeable people who helped us on our quest to taste lots of lovely wine. From the final one, Mike got a couple of bottles to take home and I couldn’t believe the reasonable price considering the quality. I was going to like this country. Things got even better back at the ranch. Sheila, a brilliant cook, had made a delicious roast dinner, the perfect antidote to five months of noodle overload in Asia. And just when I thought it couldn’t get any better, the piece de resistance came out, apple crumble, my favourite which Sheila had remembered me writing about on here. How kind is that! Due to a combination of little sleep, much wine, and wonderful food, I hit the sack early and slept like a rock until the next morning.

I was glad I’d had the early night, as my feet weren’t allowed to touch the floor. It was a sunny winter’s day in Perth, so we made the most of the sun for a whistlestop tour. Our first stop was the beach at Mullaloo, Mike and Sheila’s local. The white sandy beaches and turquoise sea weren’t, according to Mike, at their best, but it was beautiful to my eyes. Mullaloo Beach

Throughout the day I saw so much of the areas surrounding Perth. King’s Park, the huge public space overlooking Perth city, was a wonderful vantage point to get my bearings from. I’m really impressed with the public areas in Australia. They tend to be well looked after, and real communal areas. The cynic in me suspects they’d be vandalised within 24 hours back home. I was also lucky enough to get to see the spot where Mike and Sheila’s son, Neil, will marry Laura in November. A really beautiful place – the views are stunning! Perth looked like a sparkling, clean, homely city.

Mike pointed out the various suburbs of Perth, including some really posh areas, which we were soon winding our way through, stopping at the Royal Perth Yacht club, scene of our family’s legendary Australia Day celebrations when the gang were over last year. What a spot! The celebrity-style yachts were glinting in the sun, just calling me and waiting for my big lottery win. One of those babies is the first on my list.

Mike and I

Next, we headed out to Fremantle, an old port to the south of Perth. Our destinations this time were entirely gastronomical. We had delicious fish and chips, fighting off the seagulls as we ate, and then went over to the legendary Little Creatures brewery. Another lovely aspect of Australia is not only the independent wineries, but also the microbreweries, all brewing up their own special kinds of beer and ales. Little Creatures is famous throughout Perth and beyond for its good beer and atmosphere. We sat there in the sun, drinking good cold beer and getting to know each other better. Good times.

Our last stop was the beautiful, family-perfect Cottesloe beach. However, Mike didn’t sell it to me when he informed me it was the scene of the last fatal shark attack in Western Australia. I bravely dipped my toes in the water but frankly, even if I was the daredevil type, the water was too cold for swimming. We rounded the day off perfectly, with Italian ice-cream. And I’ll say this for the Italians. They can’t drive, but man, do they know their icecream.

Full, happy, and tired after a whirlwind tour of Perth, we headed back to the ranch. Yep, I DEFINITELY liked it here.



Tags: ,

Comments are closed.