BootsnAll Travel Network



Action!

From very quiet to pretty lively went my every day life here in SA.
On Monday all the other vollies came in and on tuesday we all went on a wild coast trip. They took us on a bus and we went to loads of remote and beautiful places. Mike gave those who had just arrived a breakdown on south african history and culture and everyone is quite impressed. There are English, Australian, Canadian, Dutch, German and Danish on the program…and me of course. We got to stay in a little village with a Xhosa family and spent the night sleeping in a mud hut, as they call them here. Just picture an african hut as you would imagine it to look like and that’s what it was…We ate traditional food, danced to kwaito (soth african music)with the kids and had a short night because of all the animals makeing funny noises…was great though and a nice experience.
Yesterday everybody moved in at the house. Finally there is something happening here! Today me and 3 other vollies went to the one school and set up timetables for the computer lieracy classes. In the afternoon we went to the schools concert which was simply great…these kids can sing, man! wow!
The project is still very chaotic and i hope we will be able to get it to be more structured soon. But apart from that things are going well and I am very happy. Days are busy but still not stressful and the team of vollies is cool. Of course some of them are still pretty young and a lot of them don’t have an educational background. But motivation is huge and they are all will ing to get there hands on. Most of them are here for 1 month, but some are also staying a bit longer.

The weather has been great all this time, though nights are still cool. Summer is around the corner…days are getting longer and the sun stronger…Gurten Festival is coming up in Switzerland…hows the weather forecast? Hopefully gooooood! Wish I could be there :)!

Will upload some more pis as soo as i get some more time…rushing to a meeting now.
Miss you! Take care!



Tags:

2 responses to “Action!”

  1. Renny says:

    Hi! I just found your blog and I was wondering what program you’re involved with in SA? I’ve been looking for a volunteer abroad/teaching abroad program and South Africa is on the top of my list of places to see! I hope you’re having a wonderful time there!
    Renny

  2. Herbert says:

    Hallo Sonja
    Good to read from you! Every day seems to be full of new adventures and surprises! I’looking forward to speak to you on the skype-phone and to see more pics.
    Here in Bern it’s really summer, hot and humide! Last night there were very strong thunderstorms with a lot of damage in the area of Interlaken. The weather will stay like this, but it will also rain from time to time. Too bad for the Gurten Festival!
    With love from Bern
    Pa

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *