BootsnAll Travel Network



Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang riverview

Luang Prabang, the former capital of Laos and UNESCO World Heritage site, proved to be as great of a place that all the guidebooks, articles and previous visitors rave that it is. This city has character in its people, its architecture (a combination of French colonial and Buddhist), its layout (a peninsula between 2 rivers and surrounded by mountains) and its food. There is something special about this city that makes you automatically comfortable to be there and immediately relaxes you and puts you at ease. We spent about 2 days in Luang Prabang after our jungle trek, during which we walked around the island, visited some of the sights, treated ourselves to cheap massages, wandered the food and night markets looking for interesting things to sample, saw a cultural dance and music performance, and just let ourselves be enveloped by the peaceful aura of the city.

Shanthony @ Pousi TemplePainter painting Xieng Thong

One of the most interesting experiences that we had in Luang Prabang was observing the Giving of the Alms where the locals line up and along the street at dawn to give offerings of rice to the local Buddhist monks. The ritual is silent and beautiful, clearly demonstrating the respect and reverence that the people feel towards the monks and their Buddhist faith. It was definitely worth getting up early to witness – though Anthony was a bit disappointed that he didn’t receive any rice despite his shiny dome. Finally, the middle picture below is sunset on the Nam Khan river, half a block from our hostel. The photo doesn’t do the moment any justice as it was one of those moment when you see a sight that overwhelms and humbles you and reminds you to remember to step back and take in what is around you because there is much beauty in this world.

For more Luang Prabang pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shanlovesphotos/sets/72057594058871980/

After Luang Prabang, our next stop from here will be Myanmar, which just opened up to tourists a few years ago. Country #2 that both of us have never been too – Yipee! We’re both really looking forward to it.

Giving of the almsSunset on the Nam Khan river

Memorable Eats:< em>Laotian “Creepy Crawly” Whisky -There is a special medicinal spirit that the Laotions drink, which we found at a cafe on the street along the river. Every possible reptile, amphibian and creepy crawly (ie. snakes, lizards, scorpians, centipedes, spiders – you name it, it was in there) is soaked in a large jar of Lao whiskey. The Laotians believe that the poison from the creepy crawlies has a medicinal quality and leaches into the alcohol, thereby making it a elixir for curing a plether of ailments from rheumatism to virility. See photo below:
>Lao Creepy Crawly Whisky

Best Eats:
Khai paen – Dried river seaweed sprinkled with salt and sesame seeds served with local hot sauce called Jae Bong and sticky rice. So simple, yet SO TASTY.
“Laotian burgers” – Made of what we assumed was beef (he he, in this region, you never know) mixed with mint, chili peppers, scallions and garlic equals TASTY BURGER. Kids, definitely try this at home.
Banana dragonfruit shakes – Little sweet bananas, dragonfruit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfruit) some sweetened condensed milk, coconut powder and a little ice servied in a plastic bag with a straw – INCREDIBLE

Food for Thought: Public paper etiquette – When is it OK to do the crossword puzzle in a public newspaper (ie. one that is at a cafe for any of the partrons to read)? When the paper is 3, 4, 7 days old? If someone else has started it, does it make it ok?

-Shan



Tags: , , ,

2 Responses to “Luang Prabang”

  1. Amy K Says:

    Shan + Anthony,

    Hello. This is my 1st time ever responding to a blog…I can’t resist…just want to say hi and say how happy I am that you went to Luang Prabang. This is my favorite city! I love the longboat rides down the chalky red river, buddhist temple caves, sticky rice, pho or crepes for breakfast, little monks marching in the morning, decadent temples, colonial comforts, nightime speedy scooter rides, sweet smiles, paper star lanterns, trendy textiles, and of course beer lao!! Shan, I’m sorry I’ve been MIA and missed your phone calls. I can’t wait to talk to you when you are nearby again. Happy travels!
    lots of love, Amy K

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Mom Says:

    I miss this email the last time. I wish to be with you to ask for recipes.
    Write more.
    big kiss, Mom

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. alice Says:

    Great blog!

    One question about LP – did y’all detect any smokiness in the air from the slash and burn farming I keep reading about (supposed to be esp bad in March-April, just when we were planning on being there). Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks! And happy travels!

    Alice

  6. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply