Apr 06

SE Asia: Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City

by in Travel, Vietnam

The following morning we flew to Saigon or Ho Chi Minh City. The city with two names. Like I need any more confusion about where I actually am at the moment. Anyway, the flight wasn’t too bad, and after we grabbed lunch (pasta and fries, no MSG for me!) we took a cyclo ride around the city.

Unfortunately, our local guide only wanted to point out the hotels where Brad Pitt has stayed. Yes, I think he’s hot too, but isn’t there an important statue or something around here somewhere?

Saigon is similar to Hanoi in that it’s quite modern, but the traffic is 30 bikes deep instead of 5, which makes crossing the road that much more interesting (the rule of thumb, stare down each bike as it’s about to hit you, walk slowly and don’t stop).

I crashed as soon as our tour was over and slept until morning, where another shit Vietnamese guide took us to the Cu Chi Tunnels built by the Viet Cong during the war. He took us through so fast it was like he was on Vietnamese speed, and a whole bunch of families started following us around which pissed us off because we paid for this guide, and let’s face it, annoying kids are bad enough when you aren’t on holidays. Oh, but we aren’t spoilt.

Near the exit, there is a shooting range where you can shoot an AK-47 into a field, with each tour guide getting a commission from each bullet. Because that’s just what you want to do after hearing about how many people died where we were standing isn’t it, just start shooting away.

“The only people that would do something that insane are the fucking Americans,” someone said, although I am not sure how accurate that was. But very insane, especially hearing gunshots while crawling through black tunnels underground.

That afternoon we visited the War Remnants Museum – which depicted the war and it’s Agent Orange victims generations later in photographs, letters and media coverage.

Some things are truly too horrible to describe, so I won’t even try, but we all came out quiet, slightly shaken and glad our stomachs were empty.

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “SE Asia: Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City”

  1. From Liz Rudder:

    Hi Sa,

    Happy Easter to you and your friends. We miss you here and wish you were home….but at the same time so glad your having fun…. it’s raining, cold and miserable in Sydney this Easter long weekend. Hope your having lots of fun. Have emailed you. Take care and speak soon.

    Love Liz, Aaron, Talisha and Ashton

    Posted on 09. Apr, 2007 at 8:32 am #
  2. From garry morton:

    Dearest Sarah

    Good to hear from you. The tunnels u mentioned are a bit strange eh what? Mum, me & Kerrie went to Canberra over the Easter long weekend & had a great time visiting the usual. I suppose by now you can realise how lucky you are living in Australia. It’s a great place but there’s nothing like a bit of culture …even if it is down a tunnel!

    At the moment, business is a bit slow …I think we may be heading for a recession but will not know for sure. The pace has slowed down which is a welcome break. Mum & Kerrie & me are all o.k but the autumn chills are starting to come forth. I suppose you could do with a nice cool climate but I’m sure that you will soon get it where you’re headed.

    Beni, the faithful hound has just come back from holidays where he was looked after when we were in Canberra …he had a girlfriend to play with and got a shampoo plus playtime every day ….some people have it tuff!!

    Lots of luv

    Dad XXXXXXXX

    Posted on 11. Apr, 2007 at 3:39 pm #

Leave a Reply