Mar 28

SE Asia: Ninh Binh

by in Travel, Vietnam

The Vietnamese love their horns. You honk when you pass someone, to say hi; when you overtake someone, to let them know you are behind them; when you pass a family of seven riding the same bike, perhaps to pay respect to this awesome balancing manouvre; and if noone is around, then you honk anyway, because you can.

It’s crazy and loud, and you could tell the difference in the landscape as soon we crossed the border from Laos. We drove for 8 hours the day we crossed the border, the traffic slowly getting more congested and the horns becoming more frequent.

During the bus ride, which passed through the Ho Chi Minh trail, we talked of the history of Vietnam, which apparently began when a sea dragon and mountain fairy met, married and had 100 sons. The fairy and dragon decided they couldn’t live together anymore as they were both too far away from the mountains and ocean they called home, so they took 50 sons each and separated, the oldest son becoming the first Emporer of Vietnam.

After a night in a hotel with the best shower in the world (it’s a big call, but sometimes you have to just put it out there), we continued our journey eyes down, because if you looked out the front window at the traffic headed straight for you, you were constantly freaked out and arrived in Halong Bay by mid afternoon.

It is said that as the Dragon that founded Vietnam soared above the water and dove down, he hit the water and the humps because the rocky islands of Halong Bay. Or something like that, beause let’s face it I’m not great at remembering overrated things like the actual facts and actual history. But still interesting, yes?

Sakai splashed out at got us a 3-storey boat all to ourselves which we boarded and spent the afternoon swimming off the boat in the ocean, and being spoiled by the crew with delicious seafood for lunch and dinner. There were hundreds of similar boats all parked around the area (some of which were other Intrepid travellers who looked very boring on their 2-storey boats) and it was amazing sight to see them all lit up, scattered amongst the picturesque islands.

We spent the night on the boat, and woke when it shuddered to a start and began to make the return journey to the mainland early the following morning. It would have been nice to stay an extra day in our own piece of paradise, but we boarded our bus once again to the city of Hanoi and looked forward to the culture shock of the most populated city in the entire world! (Or maybe Asia. Or maybe just Vietnam. I can’t really remember, but the entire world sounds so much better…)

-Sarah

PS: Hotmail is shit, it’s time to acknowledge that. I can read emails but not reply right now, so glad everyone is well and look forward to hearing more about what you are all up to!

 

 

Tags: ,

No Responses to “SE Asia: Ninh Binh”

  1. From Belly (Lu):

    Best shower in the world is definitly a big call… glad you took that step, its very 21. It’s also a big call to talk about beeping in traffic when your right hand is almost permanently attatched to your horn when you drive. Dont let the freckles and the mad betty hair fool you. So many stories and happenings in sydney… though i’m going to email you most of the stories for fear of my big sister, brother-in-law and parents reading my comment. I’m an angel truly. And i haven’t been killed by serial killer yet. Brilliant. Keep up the blogs, i’ve become addicted. Love you.
    Yallah
    Belly

    Posted on 30. Mar, 2007 at 8:07 pm #

Leave a Reply