Apr 02

SE Asia: Hoi An day 2

by in Travel, Vietnam

Because it was a late night (see: previous mention re buckets), it was a late morning, and I didn’t head off to the beach to meet the others until after midday. On arrival, hundreds of tourists and locals were standing along the shoreline watching the sea and boat loads of fisherman hauling nets through the water.

Apparently a few moments earlier three 17-year old Vietnamese girls were pulled under with the current – a westerner managed to grab two of the girls but couldn’t find the other. Everyone kept their eyes peeled and were directing the fisherman as they slowly swept the ocean for any sight of the girl.

It made us all realise how lucky we are to have lifeguards, helicopters and almost immediate access to ambulance and hospitals. But there wasn’t any of those available, and so the fisherman kept trawling. To their credit they kept going for a good two hours before the girls’ body was finally, and unfortunately, dragged onto the beach.

Her body was covered and family and friends gathered around to pay their last respects before she was taken away to be buried (most likely on the family property as they were farmers).

We provided some money to the family and head back to the hotel for a quiet afternoon by the pool before dinner and an early night.

-Sarah

Tags: , ,

One Response to “SE Asia: Hoi An day 2”

  1. From garry morton:

    Dear Sarah

    Sounds like u r really getting around. The drowning of the girl was very tragic and by now I guess u have a pretty good idea of the important things in life. Money & comfort r OK but there r other far more meaningful things. U r going to come home a very changed person when u see all the wankers that think that they r so great. Simple life can be just as meaningful.

    I trust that u r putting up with the heat & that it’s not affecting you’re asthma. Home is just the same …great one day …great the next…Mum & family r great & we r getting ready for the Easter break so Kerrie can have a few weeks off. She is still working for Gloria Jeans & umpiring at netball.

    So glad u like Vietnam …it is a beautiful place although last time I was there, it was a little on the noisy side…

    I hope you look after yourself & enjoy the simple things …even if they are only tasty crickets!!

    Lots of luv

    Dad

    Posted on 02. Apr, 2007 at 4:47 pm #

Leave a Reply