BootsnAll Travel Network



DECEMBER 31, 2005: MUNICH DOWNTOWN

We had another big breakfast, and decided to take a few hours in the morning to walk around Munich before heading back to Peter’s hometown for New Year’s celebration with friends. We went to the Victualienmarkt, an outdoor farmer’s market. We saw a lot of nice food and gifts, but nothing that I could take home or that Peter wanted to take home. On our way back towards the hotel, we saw a crowd around the Rathaus. It turned out we had arrived just in time to see the Glockenspiel go off. Like the Hofbrauhaus, it was impressive because we could say we saw it, but that was about it.

As I say that, I think about people who have never been outside of their own country, and wonder if they wonder how I can sound so blasé about the Hofbrauhaus and the Glockenspiel. And of course I realize I am lucky to have seen these places. But for me, the true pleasure in traveling is not seeing everything that’s in the book. It’s DISCOVERING places I never would have known about otherwise, and discovering things about myself too.

Before Peter and I left, we stopped at Alois Dallmayr, a fine foods store I’d read about years ago in travel newsgroup. It was impressive and very crowded. Peter bought some fondue dips for his friends, and I bought a lovely tin with an elephant on it for my mother. Then we stopped in a flower shop so Peter could buy his friends a plant. The salesladies were very friendly and helpful. If I knew its name or street, I surely would recommend it to others.



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *