BootsnAll Travel Network



Vietnam – Ho Chi Minh City

Ho Chi Minh City is hot! Like, really hot. Today we hit 34 degrees! And Im not going to complain, even though I have felt a bit faint and exhausted through the day. So, my first adventure in over 3 years. Loving it! Got here on Saturday evening after a pleasant 18 hr journey via Hong Kong on Cathay. Already arranged hotel from home via email; didnt know what to expect – would the taxi driver turn up? Would I be shown some dodgy cellar room? But Im pleased that word-of-mouth didnt lead me astray. Im staying at the very pleasant Madame Cuc184, just off the busy Khao San Road-like Bui Vien Street. Im up on the 6th floor and there’s no lift but I get a comfy sleep for $16 a night with brek and dinner of spring rolls and noodles included so can’t complain. Area very quiet after midnight though, not keen on walking back alone at that time. Staff fab. House doggie cute. But havent had rabies shots so dont dare play with it.

Sorted self out on Saturday and then went to find Minna, who was staying in the more upscale Dong Khoi area. My phone tells me it should only take 20 minutes to reach her but as its my first experience of crossing the roadin Vietnam, I take an hour to find her. Sheer motorcycle madness. Fearless. As are the locals who confidently stride out into the road. Bikes and cars either slow down or swerve around them. I stand at the kerb and look on aghast. I have tried to do as the locals do but end up getting beeped at. Im sure thats not whats supposed to happen.

I find Minna and feel safe. We go for some drinks at a very cool open courtyard dressed up in fairy lights. Cheap. 15 quid for a round of 6 drinks. She walks me back to my hotel and I fall asleep in the heat. Did not sleep so good on the plane so Im hoping that jetlag will pass me by.

Minna headed up north on the train towards Hue after that; I stayed in Saigon to explore! We both spent some time being a bit ill in our first 24 hrs. I think its just about getting used to the heat and cuisine rather than eating/doing anything dodgy. I woke up the next day at10.30am. Perfect. I missed breakfast at the hotel so made for the nearest ‘safe’ place to get a coffee and you’ll call me a cop-out for this but I went to Gloria Jeans and got a cappuccino rather than brave a local stall for some civet coffee. The reason for this is Im just not feeling fearless enough yet to communicate with the locals. Give me a bit of time and Ill be eating beef noodle soup off the streets but 3 days in and I feel like I need someone to show me the ropes… I dont feel like the crazy backpacker I used to be. Yet.

So coffee and warm banana muffin downed (for 115000 vnd, about £3.50, would have been far cheaper at a street stall) I ventured off to see the Reunification Palace. Been asked a lot if I want a motorcycle ride. Since coming off a bike in Cuba I dont think so. Im sure these guys are way way too experienced to get clumsy but I just cant risk going to a foreign hospital again. I have seen people carrying TVs on the back of bikes and seen girls riding in heels but … oh I might get on one..

Anyway, the Palace… so it was the President’s Palace and it was very much like a less sumptuous, less ostentatious Grand Pavillion. It has the same rooms for the same function as Brighton’s very own but just.. less showy. I was interested to learn about Vietnam’s history there as I actually didnt know so much before I came here. I learnt a great deal about the Vietnam War at the War Remnants Museum. Very sad and I felt really angry to see that the US government dont really learn do they? And we dont know why the US came to Vietnam. They just like to meddle. Anyways, I was just learning about Agent Orange when I had to leave as the Museum was closing. Id like to go back and learn some more. The Lonely Planet warns that the Museum uses a lot of propaganda. I dont really understand how you explain away a bunch of nutters murdering children and the elderly and then reading that one Senator (or ex?) Bob Kerry stood down after admitting he was involved in such atrocities. I mean… Spoke to a Vietnamese guy who says Vietnam has a history of war so he wasnt going to point blame; he’d be happy to welcome an American here, just as he would anyone else.

I stopped at a cafe near Notre Dame Cathedral for beef noodles. They were yum! I watched the world go by for a bit, then went for a wander. I found the local mosque! Its in a cluster of halal restaurants – actually, I see a few halal restaurants in and around Saigon and a few men here and there with their bonnets and also some women in the hijab so there’s definitely an Islamic presence here. I ate some ice cream and went off back to my hotel to chill.

Today I went on a little trip! I met some nice girls at my hotel who informed me they were leaving after 3 weeks touring the country. I had a good breakfast of bread (oops), eggs and banana and then I got on a little bus to the Cu Chi Tunnels. It was probably a 2hrdrive away from the city? I hung out with a Norwegian girl who told me she was leaving. I learnt a lot about the Viet Cong. I tried to get in the tunnel but had to backtrack – them were small!! Some Japanese lads from the bus did it and they came out looking like they were gonna die! Some other people went further than me but came back out again! Those who managed it said it was pitch black and they were crawling on their hands and knees. Eeek! Had some manioc, just like the Viet Cong. Have had it before but never with sugar and peanuts. Was good! Got on the bus and fell asleep.

Got back to town and had a bit of a wander. A girl who sidled up to me to cross the road revealed herself to be from Crystal Palace and touring Vietnam because she too, had missed it out on her RTW trip! She told me that she was leaving tomorrow.

Have had a couple of mosquito bites and I fancy an ice cream before bed. My writings not what it was, Hopefully next account will be better. If you want to pretend that you are here, just walk on the pavement outside Heals on Tottenham Court Road and close your eys. Smells the same, I kid you not! Will write some more soon…



Tags:

3 responses to “Vietnam – Ho Chi Minh City”

  1. Angela says:

    Sounds amazing. Looking forward to more updates! You’ve made me hungry and fancy beef noodles now. Stay safe bella x

  2. mama says:

    it s eem u r enjoying the heat and the beef noodles very much. sound so exciting keep it comingxxx

  3. Jenny Hassam (rutter) says:

    Hey traveller! Loving readin about your trip, I’m reliving my traveling days around Cambodia and Vietnam while getting up at random times of the night to feed th baby!! Tubing sounded great, never made it to Laos. Have lots of adventures for me, you lucky ducky and good on you for doing it, takes a lot of guts, Jen xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *