BootsnAll Travel Network



The Market

Today was my first real experience with the market in downtown Dakar. It was for sure an interesting site.  Lots of people selling everything from oranges and tomatoes to irons and fake pumas (em got a really cute pink pair). I love seeing everything all laid out to buy, especially the foods. A guy even pulled up while emily was looking at shoes and unloaded an entire truck of particularly slimy looking huge fish, grouper I think they said. (Hopefully it wasn’t the same fish I ate yesterday at lunch!)

I absolutely love watching the crowds, the people and their way of life. The patterns of clothes are bright and colorful and everyone we met has been extremely friendly. We started off this afternoon going fabric shopping. Emily has found herself a few guys who act sort of as guides to bring us through the various stalls. Apparently this leads to less hasseling.

We found a shop…well a room of sorts, selling the type of fabric we were looking for, something called indigo. Its just what it sounds like, fabric patterned in a deep blue almost purple. Emily had bought some in burkina faso, and I thought it would make a great skirt. So, after some hard bargaining on emily’s part we got what we wanted and headed to the tailor shop. I was also fascinated with the tailors as it was another room filled with about 10 men, not women, all working old school sewing machines. There was crazy fabric all over. He took our measurements and I am excited to see how things turn out. We will get our clothes (emily had a bunch of stuff made as well) when we return next week from saint louis. 

Otherwise, life has been good here so far. The food is good, lots of rice and sauces. Today was a couscous with a yummy onion sauce. We drove along the coast today as well, the surf was impressive, wonderfully picturesque crashing into the rocks. Tonight we are attending a concert of senegalese music, hopefully it will be fun. Tomorrow I believe we will be off to one of the islands.  I hope you are all doing well!

 



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *