BootsnAll Travel Network



So Luxurious

So today; Em and I decided has officially been our girly day; and its been wonderful. We finally got a chance to experience the traditional Moroccan hammam, and it was wonderful. Something Im not quite used to as a backpacker, but when the prices are so cheap; its hard to resist. A hammam is basically a Moroccan spa/bath. They take you into this small steamy room and a hammam woman scrubs you from head to toe with all these exfoliating mitts, then you get all sorts of body masks and such; and I have never felt so clean and smooth in all my life. After the hammam we each got an hour massage as well, which was positively fabulous. I feel pretty spoiled, but after how grubby Ive been, it was needed!

Today we also managed to get out of the main area of Marrakech and explore some beautiful gardens and take a little horse drawn carriage. Bargaining for the prices for these was an experience as the first guy showed us the price list, then insisted it was a good price if he charged us double….what? We opted not to go with him.

 Oh, and last night our experiment was a success for the most part. In the part of the square where we had gotten harrassed before, with head scarves we were mainly left alone, which was great. The only problem was the shopkeepers who knew who we were, they teased us a bit as we left for the night. I also didnt mean to make it seem in the last post that all the people in morocco are creepy…as many of the people we have come in contact with have been very pleasant. Last night we also enjoyed the food stalls for dinner, a key part of any marrkech experience. They set them up every night in the main square and its just a big jumble of wonderful chaos. Kabobs, salads, soups, calamari; sheeps heads for those more adventurous then us, and much more…people running around, lots of smells and languages and the grill smoke billowing up into the night. And the food is fantastic. We dined until we were stuffed and spent an entire 4 dollars each. Then we went up to a cafe overlooking the square and had mint tea and enjoyed the fabulous people watching.

Tomorrow we are head to the Cascades de something I cant remember, hopefully it will be fun. Only another week and then its off to Spain and Alex will be joining us! 🙂



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *