BootsnAll Travel Network



Guest Blogger: Alex

So a lot of the information I would normally give has been talked about.  And as usual myWhat to do but to make a meaningless list of the best sites and interesting details left off about them.  So in no particular order, here are the top seven sites we´ve seen, or as from now it will be known, the “Seven Wonders of Spain.” 

 First has to be Semana Santa in Sevilla.  It´s like a KKK demonstration ran into a Brazilian float during Carnival and had a baby named Oktoberfest.  We had the amazing fortune to be the only Guirí (or non-Spaniards) in a forty block radius due to hostal location, and made the most of it by finding a bar with uber cheap beer and food.  We were sandwiched among the hundreds (thousands?) of Spaniards who pass their tickets down through their families from one generation to the next–very Green Bay Packers. 

Second is the view from Park Guell in Barcelona.  You climb all the way up this ultra modern park that Antoní Gaudí designed and see this spectacular view of Barcelona and the surrounding hills and mountains. 

Third I give the nod to the Alcazar in Sevilla.  The gardens go on forever and come about as close as possble to recreating a fairytale.  Even with mossy fountains overrun by algae it still looked spectacular.

Fourth would have to be the flamenco show we saw.  There were two singers, and a dancer that were terrific.  But the guitarist stole the show.  I almost proposed to him on the spot.  His fingers blurred and wove a melody that needed no accompaniment.  He was also the only one who looked relaxed, the other three seeming like they had just realized their mistake of downing an entire bottle of Beno. 

Fifth I would give to Valle de Los Caídos.  It´s essentially a huge mausoleum dedicated to those who died during the civil war, though it seems only one side (the winner) is actually buried there.  Apparently the losers died building the place, which gives it a very sinister feel.  Plus Franco is buried there, and I was delighted to see that his grave was barely marked.  But it is spectacular in its macabre feel, sort of like something from Lord of the Rings or Jason and the Argonauts.

Six is the street signs in Madrid and the warning signs on the metro.  They are ridiculous, but not very funny to describe.  I´ll see if I can get the chicas to take some pictures of them for appreciation.

Seven is easily the Sagrada Familia.  The inside is like an eerie, tree filled Dr. Suess novel and the outside has façades of distinction.  One looks like a melting nativity scene and the other is a cubist impression of the crucifiction.  But what other attraction can attract such a crowd without being finished?  Or even halfway finished? 

I´ll update and change the list as our travels continue as I´m sure that my opinions will on demand from this blog audience.  Also, I just learned that some of my above material will be edited for mass consumption.  For an unabridged version, I guess you´ll have to ask me in person.

 



Tags:

One response to “Guest Blogger: Alex”

  1. Jason says:

    EMERGENCIA!! Alex you must hurry home!!! Tool is playing a concert at the Orpheum in a week. (And their new album comes out next week.) I will meet you outside. If you don’t call me and say that you can’t make it I will expect you there. The girls will be fine, it sounds like they never got harassed by creepy old guys while you were still in MN.

    Thank you for your post Alex on the lifetimeoriginal, we appreciate the commitment. Anyway, I enjoy everyone’s posts on this wonderful blog, very descriptive and enlightening. (I check it everyday and become depressed when there is not a new post, but that is my fault. I always get my hopes up.) I hope that everything is going well for all of you.

    Tool really is coming though so be sure to spread the word in your current locale. I will be forced to go to the concert with Alex alternates #16 and #22 , so it won’t quite be the same. Hopefully nobody will kick me in the head. Be safe.

    Jason

  2. Alex says:

    What! Tool in concert. Curse you stars for aligning in this way. Maybe if I make a sacrifice to them I can delay the concert into the summer. I´ll convince Nicki and Emily we should purchase a lamb or goat, and the rest should come naturally.

    Enoy the concert with the alternates, may they be forever haunted by nightmares from the terrifying images shown behind Maynard in concert.

    He´ll probably sing an Alice N Chains song too just for good measure. I expect tape recordings at the very least, video recordings if possible.

    Keep your head away from people´s shoes this time, since we learned last time that your head should move out of their way, not the reverse. Take care

    -Alex

  3. We Aint Stoppin Ringtone…

    Band AIDS Ringtone Band AIDS Ringtone Carpe Diem Baby Ringtone Carpe Diem Baby Ringtone Nadie Como Ella Ringtone Nadie Como Ella Ringtone Skrying Ringtone Skrying Ringtone Let Me Touch You For Awhile Ringtone Let Me Touch You For Awhile Ringtone Threat…

  4. Download Lazy Days Ringtone…

    Hear the ringtone of the popular song: Download Lazy Days …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *