BootsnAll Travel Network



Budapest in mathemagic land

Buda + Pest + Danube River dividing them = the Hungarian capital

1 in 4 Hungarians live in the capital (meaning that we can generalize with impunity based on solely our experience there)

1 Gestapo HQ + 1 KGB HQ = the House of Terror, about the most terrifying place I’ve ever seen live.  The entry way was a real Soviet tank, placed on a pedastal of dripping machine oil with a background of pictures of the victims holding their serial number, lining the walls from ceiling to floor.  We got a chance to experience the holding cells and the punishment cells (for instance, one was built to be only 2 feet tall so you could never stand, and another was only big enough to stand in, with light bulbs at eye level).  We also saw the gallows and a chilling video from the man who cleaned the mess afterwards providing the details. 

200 Forints = 1 US dollar = USA living large.  For instance we ate at a very trendy (and Chino Latino like) restaurant for around 15 dollars a person for a four course meal apiece.  Hostels or houses were about 10 dollars per night per person. 

It also was much more of a city that people actually lived in rather than an old section set aside for tourists and public housing for the locals, like Prague.

Loved it. 

 

 



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *