BootsnAll Travel Network



So This Is What They Think Bangkok Is?

PICT3743

Laura writes
Arriving at the backpackers mecca, Khao San Road, was not an unpleasant surprise after spending several days in down town Bangkok. The images of China Town and Siam came flooding back as nightmares as we now stumbled upon freshly sweeped streets, appetising food stalls, happening bars and neon lights. This was not Bangkok as we knew it.

There were far less limbless people, the sewerage was certainly better (but only just) and the images of cooked pigs heads no where to be seen.

I had spent several days walking around in, as I like to put it, real Bangkok, wondering how friends had told tales of stomaching pancakes, noodles and meats from street stalls in the city. The hygiene alarming and the nearby water used to wash freshly chopped fruit didn’t give me an appetite. However, after a day in Khao San Road, we happily found ourselves eating freshly prepared banana pancakes from the very own street stalls themselves. Their clean and appealing food drawling you in like a mouse to cheese!
After a few days in Khao San Road, if it wasn’t already obvious it certainly was now, raw Bangkok is nothing like this nicely wrapped town of lights, youngsters and cleanliness.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s a truly amazing place and definitely a well adapted environment to be surrounded by fellow backpackers and friendly new faces. We certainly met some funny people.

I happily welcomed the ability to haggle good prices with local market stalls and even managed to sell my hairdryer and a book all for one hundred baht (not much more than a pound). Pocket those pennies!

Here we experienced our first bucket (Rupert testing it here). For those of you who are not familiar with this alcohol filled beach bucket, it’s laced with fine spirits and a choice of soft drinks, Sam Song, Red Bull and cola being a fine favourite. However, it wasn’t until later in the trip that we realised what a bucket truly was, it certainly wasn’t just a few added shots as we had experienced here…stay tuned for that story. Check out the funny photo below too, this sign is classic…

PICT3746
Too much of the contents of that bucket has made it’s way into Rupert already

A big congratulations to James too (a new friend), he proudly held his head high and munched his heart out on a feasty grass hopper…
PICT3893
Well done you! Although the chap (on the left) who offered the bug taste seemed to be enjoying the moment far more..!

One thing I enjoyed about Khao San Road, was as night fell, those annoying Tuk-Tuk drivers stayed far from the main streets and the necessary conversations as to why you didn’t want a taxi were few and far between. A welcome break from the towns before.

Tip: Don’t spend too long in phone boxes in the blistering day time heat trying to work out how to make your new phone card work – with no air-con and reflecting glass, you find grouchiness is only a step away. Evening calls home are always a winner!

PICT3749PICT3751
This Australian chap paid this man thirty Baht to hold his balloons whilst his friend takes a photo of him. I know, I don’t understand either, but he was so excited about the idea. What if he would have let go of the balloons? Even by accident? The lad was out of his face and loving his stripy gloves that matched his socks (a story behind that I wont bother you with. It wasn’t interesting)

PICT3752
These little brats were everywhere. On first meeting these short old ladies, you believe the sweet-little-granny-selling-homemade-jewellery-to-care-for-their-dying-family act. But don’t be fooled, it doesn’t take long to realise there’s a franchise of them, swarming Khao San Road like a disease – tapping their wooden frogs – you can hear them coming from miles off. It’s like the Soul Train coming for you, and they don’t leave you alone. Expecially if you’ve just asked for a photo.



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “So This Is What They Think Bangkok Is?”

  1. Chewy says:

    I in every sence of the word have been rather useless at keeping an eye on your progress 🙁 It’s really good to see you both!!!! Am missing you like mad, Have just spent the eve with Jen, She’s getting all excited about leaving soon, I will E-Mail you a bit later as it’s coming up to half past 1 and I’ve got work at 8 🙂 Love to you both!!!!! Glad to see your looking after him Laura XXX

  2. admin says:

    Random place to reply, but whatever makes you happy!

    Hear from you soon then matey 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *