BootsnAll Travel Network



Cambodia; A Mine Field

Rupert writes
Cambodia is probably what Thailand used to look like twenty years ago, only without the landmines. This is real Asia and in comparison to what we’ve just left behind things are, as the locals enjoy quoting, “same, same but different”. Take buses for example; unlike the -what I at last can identify as- VIP coaches in Thailand locals far out weigh foreigners on board, which suits me as now I get that authentic ride I’ve been searching for, but that’s not where the authenticity of our trip ends. Throw in the pot-holed dirt tracks that make up much of Cambodia’s roads bar a few highways, and then add a measure of, say, four hours breaking down in the blistering heat with air-con working hard but accomplishing nothing but a desperately light breeze that you suck at like your life depends on it (because it does), the drivers’ got the engine cover off and that’s at the back of the bus, which is where your sat, adding another fifty degrees of heat to battle against the air-con-my-arse, and we’re getting there.

So what have we been up to, apart from cooking ourselves? We first headed to Sihanoukville in the south of Cambodia to enjoy the white beaches we’ve heard a lot about. But before that we had to cross the border.

A tip to anyone who plans to cross into Cambodia on land; do it in day light. We found ourselves crossing the border at dusk, about the least likable time of day to enter a country we have never been to, and thus know very little about. We got out of the bus that had dropped us off and before we had unloaded our bags we had a tout running over. After being overcharged for our visa and with no intention to argue (despite wishing up hopeful arguments before we arrived. The big General didn’t look like he was in a good mood) we walked out of the office and into a sea of taxi drivers. We thought the Thais were persistent; these guys followed us for a kilometer before giving up, and that was with paying one of them off (who had apparently earned it for picking up our passports and giving them to the immigration officer. Go figure). At one point we did agree to get in a taxi for a fair price of a hundred and fifty Baht, but dodged that idea when we saw that the taxi was not a taxi after all, but a run-down Toyota Camry – not a taxi sign in sight.

After asking two hotels to book us a taxi and both wanting to charge us ungodly amounts we gave in after accepting fifteen kilometers was too far to walk in pitch black. We headed back to the last hotel we had tried and paid an embarrassing fifteen dollars for them to call a taxi. It’s embarrassing because when the “taxi” that pulled up was none other than our first friend we had avoided at the border. Later an American man we met on the boat to Sihanoukville confirmed that there are no taxi’s as we know and recognise them, only cars and motto’s who offer you a ride for a couple of dollars. This is how we learnt what Cambodia’s like – the expensive way.

Then started our epic of a journey through the backstreets of Koh Kong (Lonely Planet describe this town filled with “gamblers, gangs and street crime”. Glad I read that after we had safely left the town far behind; never to return). We had to cross a toll bridge, and this is where I recognised yet another error in our hopeless plan of attack; no local currency. We had dollars and the book says everywhere accepts them as much as Riel, but try telling that to the driver and his friend (why he was coming for the ride was beyond us, but it didn’t make us feel any better about the situation) who wanted paying in Riel because he likely profited from driving us to a house to exchange our remaining Baht. We first stopped at a roadside market stall, but the vendor wasn’t prepared to exchange anything less than three thousand Baht, and I only had two thousand, so we were then taken into darker streets in deeper suburbs. We pulled up to this house and I got out with the drivers friend and walked into the family house. With the sight of kids I started feeling a bit more relaxed about going into a strangers house in a strange country. Finally we were dropped off at a guest house; all part of the plan. It was dark, we were tired, and the room didn’t look that bad anyway, so we gave in and had a restless sleep.

PICT0338PICT0339
LEFT: The beach our guest house was above. Not one of the nicest but it did have… RIGHT: Bouls (is that spelt right?). A noticable French influence and community in this part of Cambodia.

Our five days in Sihanoukville were mainly spent doing little but watching cable TV; a luxury we guilelessly indulged in. We did take a boat trip through Ream National Park.


PICT0461PICT0406
LEFT: Our boat. RIGHT: Someone elses boat.

PICT0425PICT0421
We thought we’d signed up for a boat trip; what’s all this walking about? Actually, the boat trip itself was fairly boring and a walk through thick jungle was a pleasant break for our numb bums.

PICT0450PICT0460
LEFT: After a trek through the jungle we arrived at beautiful beach with white sands. Time for a swim! RIGHT: A small village within the National Park has just thirty familes residing there. This cool character was teaching the locals how to kick a flip-flop out of ones hands. You know, if ever the occasion arises.

PICT0483PICT0482
Drinking the milk straight from the coconut! Now THAT is an authentic experience.

After our visa for Vietnam was handed out in five minutes flat we took the bus (yes, the one that broke down) to Cambodia’s capital, Phnom Penh. We agreed quickly this city had a distrustful feeling, so we were glad to be there for only a day trip of morbid fascination.

Laura writes
You can learn the histories, dates, places, times, how and why it happened, but (for me) there has always been the feeling of seperation, between my world and the world of war.

Standing in front of mass burial grounds, walking on old clothes and around endless bones, not only opened my mind, but helped connect these two so different worlds.


PICT0495PICT0491
Nearly nine thousand human skulls piled in sixteen levels of this purpose built tower.

PICT0502PICT0507
LEFT: These local kids were being very friendly and adorable until the picture had been taken and they snapped into this drone like state, begging for money. It was an odd experience; like something out of a horror film. RIGHT: The sign on this tree informs the reader that this tree was used by the Khmer Rouge to beat children against.

PICT0508PICT0510
LEFT: One of the many mass burial pits. They unearthed headless women and children from this one. RIGHT: Human remains left lying about. Talk about a dramatic effect.

I can’t even begin to imagine the sheer devistation of this country as war tore it to shreds; the pain, the suffering, the fear, and death.

The war may be over, but the consequences are not. It’s amazing to see Cambodia’s people opening their arms and hearts to people as the doors to their country swing open, whilst broken famlies and emence poverty still live on.

S21 (the school that was turned into a prison at the time of the Khmer Rouge) was, thinking back at it, pretty horrific. As I numbly wandered around teaching rooms converted into dark cells, saw blood stained floors (literally), barbed wire fencing covering the open balony’s to prevent desperate prisoners from commiting suicide, methods and instruments of torture and pictures of victims faces I felt disbelief. Three days after visting the prison, today, it’s starting to finally sink in what I actually did see.

I can only hope and pray that nothing like this ever happens in OUR world again.

Rupert writes
After which we headed to Siem Reap, the base for Angkor Wat. An incredible place, more to come of that soon but here’s a couple of my favourite photos we took:

PICT0924
Angkor Wat

PICT0779
One of the temples around Angkor that has been overun by massive old trees

After our day trip of Angkor Wat we watched Bach (something no Tourist should miss on their holiday in Cambodia) performed by a doctor working in a local hospital, with the aim to raise donations of money and blood. As well as perform Bach and some humorous songs of his own on the Cello, he talked about the lives of the Khmer people, particularly the children, and what they are going through. We learnt some troubling truths, including the lack of support for medical facilities at a level on par with the Western so called civilised world. Dr Beat has been able to setup three hospitals in Cambodia with facilities as good as we have at home, but even NGO organisations, the very ones who are meant to be helping poorer countries, say the equipment they have is too expensive; too good for a third world country. How anyone can make this claim is beyond me – why should they have a lesser level of care than us?

Laura writes
Today we took a Tuk-Tuk to Tonle Sap Lake. We decided against the usual tourist route, via boat as they wanted us to pay 15 dollars, which was a little out of our price range. Instead, we asked our Tuk-Tuk driver to take us a little further afield, agreeing that he would take us to the edge of the mountain for a brief look around before taking us back.

This place was a gem of a find for any seeker looking for that authentic experience. We became instantly aware that we were the only foreigners in sight and this was definitely a part of Cambodia ”uncut”. There were children playing happily along the muddy dirt track, as others were being washed and groomed free of head lice. Wicker baskets of fruit and vegetables were displayed on the dusty floor while chickens meandered their way through the hustle and bustle of the market.Stumbling across meats, poultry and fish stalls we were in full view of headless fish and counters with blood ousing off of them. At one point I even watched a dog hop up onto the wooden table, licking up blood to his hearts content. No one seemed bothered by this, in fact, I am not sure if they even noticed.

We learned a little about the lakes past and environmental issues, and the importance of the lake for the Cambodian people dating back to the Angkorian period. We even had the change to see water snakes in the Education Centre.

Rupert writes
So now we’ve done Cambodia and we’re moving on. Vietnam calls our attention. We head back to Phnom Penh tomorrow (11th) and stay one night and then take the first bus to Vietnam. We’ll post an update when we’ve settled somewhere.

One more thing: Sorry about the lack of photos. We took many more and we have some great ones of the Temples of Angkor and the Wat itself, but the internet connection here is crazy-slow and we need to catch a bus tomorrow! We’ll get them uploaded soon and update this post.



Tags: ,

11 responses to “Cambodia; A Mine Field”

  1. Monkey says:

    Hi
    Great writings by both of you – how do you find tine to write all this stuff. Glad you do though and great pics as well
    I’ve sent your website address to various friends so watch out
    love Dad/Henry

  2. admin says:

    Not to be outdone, yeah I second that, when are you going to publish the book love Mum. Tina

  3. admin says:

    You two both need to do something about when you post! It looks like it’s me when you post! It says “Monkey Says” – people might get confused! The best thing to do is clear the cache for this website (go into preferences).

    Anyway…!

    Dad: How do we find the time? We’re proud ‘lazy travellers’, so rarely doing much but hanging in our room when we get the luxury of tv, or walking the streets to find something to eat, and then head back to our room. Okay so we manage to fit in a few bus trips and organised tours, but generally unless it’s easy we’re really slack on doing the tourist things. But hey, we’re on holiday so we can do what we want!

    More pictures to come!

    Mum: A book? I think I might get bored of writing a book; after a couple of pages I’d probably veer off into unexplained tangents, ranting at the outrageous political meltdown around the globe that will cause the invertible conclusion of war and suffering for the rest of humanity’s slow end… or something like that. I’ll think about it.

    We’re in Vietnam now, but more to come of that soon! Thanks for posting both!

    Lots of love,
    Rupert x

  4. Olly says:

    I think you’re having us on and you’re in a five star hotel in Australia! That’s what it says after your comment! None of this roughing it stuff, travelling lark, come on, own up!

    O

  5. admin says:

    Damn, we’ve been sussed!

    How odd.

  6. Karl says:

    Hello Monkey and Monkey/ess??
    Lost the link to your website and have just spent over 2 1/2 hours reading prety much everything you posted. Being in work on a Saturday allows me to do that, well being in work on anyday allows me to do that ;-). Rupert, your hair. Enough said I think. Laura, looking as vibrant as ever. Glad to hear you have’nt been abducted by any bush dwelling monkeys and been forced to make trainers for peanuts. Anyway, gonna go as I’ve developed a strange twitch in my right hand which is makgin me tpye fnuny.
    Peace and love people

  7. admin says:

    What hair? It was a choice; allow it to grow so I look like a hippy, allow one of these local barbers to shape my hair into a palm tree, or cut it all off. The princible was sound, until Laura was let loose on it and (we both) forgot to connect the number four adaptor on the shaver. And I couldn’t walk around with a bald streak so matched the whole head the best we could – leaving just a small patch that apparently looked “natural”. “But I don’t want even a natural bald patch!”.

    It’s dinner time here, 8.15pm. Which is nice.

    Have a nice day at work matey! Nice to hear from you.

    Rupert.

  8. Karl says:

    Nice day? work? Please don’t put those two phrases together. 🙂

  9. Sam P says:

    Hi Guys,

    This is amazing reading especially for a good ol’ Mon morning in work! Sounds like you’ve had so many adventures already! Cambodia does sound really unreal It must be hard refusing all the beggers as the country is such a poor one. Have you guys made friends with any other travellers? Rupes, Benny said he had the most amazing experience in Vietnam. Hope you did too? Ill have to keep checking this as the days are flying by at the moment by boring life in Worcester is still keeping me busy! Take it easy guys hope you are safe wherever you are. I’ll send you an email later too.

    Loves ya both! Sam

  10. admin says:

    Hey Sam,

    Vietnam is amazing; we’re loving it. We’ve met loads of people; some of whom we’ve seen again and again and others just for the day or night.

    It’s very hard to say no to all the beggers, often they look so thin, missing a limb or deformed from chemical bombings by the Americans. We can give our empty bottles and cans to kids who make money out of collecting and giving to a company who recycles them, and we can donate to local causes who are helping those in need. But keep giving and you wont have any money left – it’s endless and depressing and you become quite numb to it all after a while – ignoring them becomes a habit. Sad really.

    Take care and I hope your move back to Bristol goes smoothly (still happening?)

  11. Sam P says:

    Hey Rupes And Laura,

    Gosh I was shocked to see how quickly I had a response from you! Thanks guys! Glad your loving Vietnam I was just telling mates how jelous I am that your travelling!!! it is something I am definately warming too! (mind you u would if you lived in worcester!)

    I am hoping to go to Australia around Sept next year for a few weeks, im guessing that may be on your list? Im gonna start my sisters travelling trip with her.

    I am still moving back but it will be next year now, i have a job in Bristol but not a place to live so am gonna wait until I get a better job there next year and move back then. Def going back though as recommended by yourself Rupes you said I gotta do it and your right!

    Love the pics of you guys you both look healthy and happy so that is all good! Take it easy and ill def keep in touch!

    Love to you both x x x Sam

  12. admin says:

    Hey Sam.

    So, your getting itchy feet with the whole travelling idea. Excellent. You should go for it! You’d just love it. You will experience a lot outside the cotton wool wrapped life in England. Your perspective of everything changes.

    Shame you won’t be moving to Bristol as soon as you first intended, but at least you will have time to find a really nice place to live. Leaving Worcester next year can’t be so bad! Can it?!

    Glad to hear you think we’re looking healthy. Though the cuts, swelling and bruising on my legs would slightly disagree with that! But it’s nothing serious, just a bit of fun on the sand dunes.

    Lots of Love,
    Laura (and Rupert)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *