BootsnAll Travel Network



Purified!

Tirta Empul

One of the most unique opportunities we had during our week of Zen was the chance to visit one of Bali’s holiest sites: the sacred spring of Tirta Empul.

BTirta Empul means something like “crystal waters” and the temple is built around the island’s purest spring. Normally only accessible to Hindu worshippers who come to bathe, pray, and be purified under the many streams and spouts, during our stay we were able to enter–at night, and dressed in specially appropriate clothing (white sarongs, etc)–and take part in a blessing and purification ritual attended by a Balinese priest.

The elaborate evening involved making offerings of flowers and incense, being blessed with holy water, and ritually bathing in the waters of the spring.

 bali-yoga-055.jpg bali-yoga-123.jpg bali-yoga-059.jpg

As we went at night, when the temple of quiet and free of tourists, my photos were unfortunately not particularly good (and of course as I was participating it wasn’t ideal for taking pictures anyway). I’ve stolen a couple of pics from the Net to go with my blurry shots so you can get an idea of what it looks like in the daytime.

hot-spring-tirta-empul-bali.jpg

tirta-empul-2.jpg

Random, beautiful and a unique opportunity. Purified!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply