BootsnAll Travel Network



Kathmandu at Last

Made it at last, and what’s more my baggage is all with me (we lost Barry though).

The last hour of the flight into KTM was spectacular with the whole Himalaya ranged outside the window for a couple of hundred miles through India. The plane then banks down through a gap in the hills and the KTM valley opens out in front of you like something out of the bible. From the air it’s beautiful with what look like large houses and lots of green spaces. On the transfer from the airport its a bit different though, with masses of people in houses some of which are ramshackle and some of which are decorated with the most fantastic flowers. We passed a “shop” where beheaded (dead, Phil) goats were just lying on the pavement outside with their blood running red in the gutter. Another sight (which I really like) is parents with their little kids (say 3 yrs up) perched on the front of mopeds and bikes. The hotel is basic but clean, and in Thamel the main tourist area absolutely everyone is trying to sell you something.

Cos Barry somehow got left behind in Doha (no idea how) we’re not trekking today, so I’ve got an evening in Kathmandu. I’ve just bought a sunhat (quoted me 2500 rupees (20 quid) for a poxy sunhat and I knocked him down to 8 quid. I left feeling I got a bargain but its probably worth about a quid!!!) and a pair of sunglasses, had a haircut in NABIN Hair Dresser and massager (specialist in neck area and so forth). The massage was awesome and he did the slight to the right and left thing that cricked the neck and hurt just enough to do some good. I was taken there by the guy who tried to sell me Tiger Balm and has now appointed himself my guide / PA. He took me to the shops selling the sunglasses etc, and he’s waiting outside now to help me find a chemist then point me in the direction of Durbar Square. Being with a local seems to put off the entrepreneurs at least a bit.

Right, I’m off out.
Still not slept so experiencing mild euphoria. We start 8am tomorrow with a 5-6hr drive to Besi Sahar then a 2-3 hr walk to Khude. All systems go. Sorry if this post was a bit wierd and hope you’re all happy wherever you are and whatever you’re doing.

Love and hugs to all,

Martin



Tags: , ,

0 responses to “Kathmandu at Last”

  1. Lynda Owen says:

    Hi Martin, the whole show sounds amazing. Hope you’re taking lots of photos and having loads of fun. I bet the weight is just falling off now and just in time for Christmas!! Don’t forget lunch is on me when you get back and we’ll definitely leave enough time for you to take us through the entire adventure. Take good care of yourself and we’ll see you, a shadow of your former self…pretty soon. Look forward to the next installment. Lynda.

  2. Kathie says:

    Hi there!

    Just to let any interested parties know that I’ve heard from Martin and he’s having a fab time – although access to the internet and phones is pretty limited as you can imagine! Hopefully he’ll get chance to post another episode later this week!

    Oh – and they found Barry!

    Kathie

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *