BootsnAll Travel Network



Back to Manang

Hello everyone, hope you’re all happy…..

We’ve had 3 really tough days but not in the way I’d hoped, and I’m bitterly disappointed to be back in Manang and heading back down the valley the way we came……

On Thursday just after my last post the decision was taken to push on in about 2ft of snow up to the next stop, Yak kharka. A 3hr walk took over 5 hours in a blizzard and at one point I was on my own. Although i knew 3 people were ahead of me and 7 behind, and that there was only one path, I had to control some panic inside as visibility was about 100 yards and I could hear avalanches coming down the mountainside on the other side of the river. it was near white-out. I pulled it together and plodded up to Yak Kharka at 13,500 feet.

Once we all got in it was clear Rolf wasn’t well – he’s 63 and a diabetic for goodness sake. anyway, a rest day sorted him out but it snowed for the whole night and most of the following day. there was 5ft of snow in Yak Kharka.

We decided to try to push up to Thorong Phedi this morning, which would have been breaking trail through 5ft of snow, but we could only get about 100metres towards letdar where it was clear the snow was deeper so we were forced to turn back. Coming back down to Manang took 5 hours again and we crossed over 3 avalanche trails on our side of the river, some several hundred yards wide. Our porters were not keen to cross but knew they had no choice if they wanted to get below the snowline today.

No-one will be going over the pass in the next couple of days and I’m gutted. Can’t see any option other than going back down the valley with the group, yet I felt healthy, strong and determined when we were up in Yak Kharka.

Love to all, and thanks for looking in.

Martin



Tags: , , , ,

5 responses to “Back to Manang”

  1. Chris Reilly says:

    Hi Brov. Celtic 1 – 0 over Kilmarnock this morning. Stan petrov in 24. Wee Andrew saw his first game cuddled into his da’
    Great blog updates. Seems you all have a great sense of team comraderie in your group,
    Keep up the great journalism reports and come back safe and well. I am really looking forward to seeing your DVD and pictures.
    Love Chris, Tanya & Andrew

  2. Larry McGeary says:

    Martin

    Welcome to the Himalayas! This sort of thing happens all the time but the journey is more important than the finish. There may still be time to get around but if not you can always go back and try again (sorry Kath!) Anyway on a brighter note all that trudging through the snow should have done wonders for your waistline!

    “Not getting buried in an avalanche” was one of my main bits of advice so at least you listened to me in that respect.

    Have a pint on me in Tom and Jerrys when you get back to Kathmandu

    Larry

  3. Jason says:

    Sorry Mart…

    Your fantasy football nightmare continues. You thought you could escape your poor performance but no no no no no….

    Scores on the doors are

    Mogs Sloggers – 58
    Don’t Fear The Keeper – 46
    Winners – 45
    Hun Bashers – 13

    I wonder if everyone can guess which team you are. 13 points is bad even by your standards.

    Total points to date
    Don’t Fear The Keeper – 349
    Mogs Sloggers – 334
    Winners – 276
    Hun Bashers – 225

    Keep enjoying yourself. See you when you get back

  4. Corrado says:

    Ciao Martin,
    Come stai? Immagino molto bene!!!
    I think it is a very exiciting experience. It is very interesting to read your comments.
    By the way … I am not sure you will be back! Please .. I am waiting for you not only like colleague but also like a friend! Take care and enjoy!
    Corrado

  5. Jason says:

    Hi Martin,

    Another Fantasy Football update for you

    At least it wasn’t as bad as last week….

    Scores (Total)
    Don’t Fear The Keeper – 23 (372)
    Mogs Sloggers – 21 (355)
    Winners – 18 (294)
    Hun Bashers – 19 (244)

  6. Chris Reilly says:

    Fitba SPL update 10/26. Celtic beat Motherwell. 5-0 Rangers drew with livingston 2-2 Hearts won again. Hearts top Celtic 2nd (- 3pts)but now +2 goals Rangers 4th (-11 pts behind Hearts)
    Andrew is growing up real fast. Hope your OK Looking forward to your next blog update.
    Love Chris, Tanya & Andrew

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *