BootsnAll Travel Network



Warm & Weak or Cold & Strong?

Would you rather take a warm shower with very weak water pressure, or a cold shower with decent pressure? These are the choices a vagabonder must make. For some, whether to take a shower at all.

For those old enough, do you remember what Exxon was before it was Exxon?

The differences between Asha Guesthouse and Suk 11 Hostel:

Suk 11: Private rooms w/ bathroom and shower. Warm shower, good water pressure. They also have shared bathrooms, and dorms. Fan or A/C bedrooms

Asha: Private rooms, w/ shared bathroom facilities. Incredibly small toilet stall! Not even big enough for a small child. And brutily hot! (Okay, maybe brutily hot because I had just come from walking for kilometers in the hot sun and was already sweating my butt off) And you had to get your TP from the dispenser on the wall as you enter the bathroom facility. So you had better take enough! The shower I used was the warm one, but most of the water was lost through the fixture, not the shower head, so it was very weak. I guess that’s why I saw someone go into the cold one when the warm one was free. She chose cold, and strong. Unless she needed a cold shower. You also have a choice between fan or A/C bedroom.

Suk11: Coin operated laundry

Asha: Free laundry machines! And I found at least one that works! Man did I need that.

Suk11: In touristy Sukhumvit sex area. Constantly accosted: “Fucky sucky?”

Asha: Off the beaten path. I wasn’t accosted by anyone on the street yet.

Suk11: Very cool character

Asha: Okay character

Suk11: Free breakfast

Asha: No free breakfast

Suk11: Private room w/bathroom and A/C: 500 baht

Asha: Private room with A/C, shared bathroom facilities: 400 baht

Suk11: Condusive to meeting other travellers

Asha: Condusive to meeting other travellers

Suk11: No pool

Asha: Pool (clean)

Suk11: Kind of noisy

Asha: Not as noisy

It’s pretty much a wash, but I’ll give the nod to Suk11 for the bathrooms. Asha is not bad though, and the staff is great at both places. I’d recommend them both. But I have nothing else to go on as far as hostels are concerned as these were my first two.

Back to the quiz. Exxon was Esso. There are still Esso stations here, no Exxon.

I got my flip flops.

Mark



Tags: , , , ,

One response to “Warm & Weak or Cold & Strong?”

  1. admin says:

    Hi Mark…

    Sounds like you are having the experience of a vagabonder..hope you are enjoying the process…thought of you today. Went to the supermarket in Newport Coast and there was Kobe Bryant shopping for groceries. No joke. Where was your camera when I needed it!

    Keep safe…stay away from that nasty part of town and otherwise take in the culture. Myself I would go for the warm showers and private room! Life is too short to have to share a bathroom!!! But hey, some people might think that is fun.

    Happy Halloween!

    Love

    MaryBeth

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *