BootsnAll Travel Network



“Mai Phet” Burn In, Burn Out

Oct 27, 2005, Bangkok, Thailand.

I lost my sunglasses already (clip-ons actually, but they were the reason I got those glasses. Magnetic, polorized sunglasses. I liked them. I lost my eyeglass case along with them). When we returned to Bangkok on the 10 hour bus ride from Lampang a couple of days ago, I noticed they were gone. I guess my learning has officially begun. I don’t think they were stolen or anything, I just need to pay better attention.

And I would say my vagabonding officially starts now too. So far I have been with June every day since I’ve been here (about a week and a half). And I want to thank her for all her help and hospitality. But it’s time to do it alone from here on out. I will still see her, but it’s all me now.

We stayed at June’s childhood home in Lampang the first 4 or 5 days. That was nice, and I’d like to thank her mother for the hospitality, again extreme hospitality. But she doesn’t understand English, so I don’t think she will see this.

We didn’t do a whole lot of touristy things, which is not what this trip is all about. I don’t want to do all the touristy things, I want to experience the country, and towns the way Thais do. And to relax. We did a lot of everyday things: Went grocery shopping, trips to the bank, the temple, and stuff. And we ate at some cool food stands, and small restaurants. And had many well made, authentic Thai meals at home.

Speaking of Thai food, I think I need to cut down on the spicy food for a bit. It burns going in, and it burns coming out. Sorry, but I just had to share that. When I order food now I need to say, “Mai phet.” – No spicy.

We did do one touisty thing in Lampang. We went to the hot springs, and waterfall. That was a cool place. We boiled eggs in the hot springs, and ate them for breakfast the next day. I have even eaten chicken. C’mon bird flu! I haven’t frollicked with any chickens yet though.

Another interesting everyday thing we did–well, June and her mother did it, I just watched–was fed the monks. Every morning the monks walk the downtown streets with metal bowls, and people buy food from the street venders and put it in the bowls. They then kneel down and pray to the monks, while the monks chant prayers to them. The females who place the food in the bowls must be sure not to touch the bowls with there hands, as monks are not alowed any contact with female people. This takes place, literally, on the street, with cars driving by amidst the hubub of the city. The monks then take the food to the temples where they must eat it before 12:00 noon.

Another day we brought food to the temple, and watched them eat all the food they collected that day. We didn’t do this for my benefit as a guest or tourist, this is what they would have done anyway.

Today I checked into my first hostel, SUK 11, and will be on my own for the whole day for the first time during my trip. So this is the official start of my vagabonding. Yesterday I was was without a place to stay until about 6:00pm. Suk 11 had nothing until today, so I ended up splurging at a $20/night hotel last night. But now I have a room for next 3 days. The tough part about dong this will be securing a place to stay everyday. I just made an internet reservation for another guesthouse for the following 3 days. I hope something is available there.

I haven’t really taken any pictures yet so if you are looking for pictures, go to DPChallenge and look at some of my Thailand pictures from last year. My handle is “Mark of SRQ” which isn’t really true any more, I’m no longer from SRQ. I have no home. Hopefully I’ll take some more pictures this year.

My backpack is too damn heavy!! It’s not very comfortable either. I made a mistake. I suppose the weight has something to do with the lack of comfort, but the pack itself is heavy too. Yesteraday I was walking around with it all day, and when I finally took it off I was leaning forward as I walked.

Well, I better go, there are people waiting to use the computer. I’ll try to update more than I’ve been.

Mark



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to ““Mai Phet” Burn In, Burn Out”

  1. Stephen says:

    Hey Vagabond,

    Sounds like fun. The backpack will seem light once you been carrying it for a few months.

    And I feel like I’ve been traveling and all I did was go to Boston and New Hampshire.

    Good to hear from you. I’ll be checking in. Keep everyone posted.

  2. MaryBeth says:

    good to see you made it back to town…hope Suk11 turns out to be a good place to stay…will be checking back to hear of your adventures. …regarding the burning food…DON”T Eat spicy stuff! In a pinch…go for the MacDonald’s!

    🙂

    MB

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *