BootsnAll Travel Network



Taman Negara, National Rain Forest Reserve

I decided to go and check out one of the few rain forests in Malaysia that Mitsubishi hasn’t cut down yet. Set in the middle of Penninsular Malaysia, Taman Negara is a massive rain forest preserve where there are tons of mosquitos, rain and forest. As far as animals, I can’t say I saw any except for a few monkeys that we got into a berry fight with. I got hit in the back with a berry so I started to throw berries back at them. One of them started to pee on Ben as we walked underneath him. I guess that’s why they call them Cheeky monkeys.

Snake Eating Lizard The only other animals I saw was a snake eating a lizard. Click this link to watch the video. Then use back function to come back to this page. This was probably the highlight of my trip to the rain forest, the food chain at work. We spent about 30 minutes watching this snake slowly devour the poor hapless lizzard. There were some really nice hikes through the forest and a canopy walk.

Canopy Walk

We also took a 4 hour hike to a really crappy (guana) cave. The cave was very narrow in places, wet and was stuffed full of thousands of bats, literally covered in guana and spiders. I’m not quite sure why this cave was so popular. They often say that getting there is half the fun, but in this case, I’d have to say it was 90% of the fun.

Bat Cave

I was told that there’s absolutely nothing to do in Taman Negara after dark. For the most part, that’s true. But where there’s a will, there’s a way. I really wanted a beer after the long hikes, but when we got back to the resort, the bastards wanted 18RM (like $5 for a small draft when my accomodation was only 10RM). So we found the Woodlands resort which only charged 9RM for a beer (at least it wasn’t more than my accomodation). We were only going to have 1 beer there anyway. But 1 beer led to 2, then 3 and that led to 4 which led to 1 for the road. We decided to head back to my room to play some cards and listen to some music with this Belgian girl and this guy she met online to travel with that was totally trying to get on her. Poor fellow. Of course, 1 beer is not nearly enough when your playing cards so Sarah and I decided to go back to Woodlands to get more. Stanley, the manager at Ekoton Lodge, was good enough to give us a ride there. Unfortunately, it was closed by the time we got back so we ended up driving all over town to find an open shop. We finally gave up, but Stanley had a couple bottles of Guinness and a bottle of Vodka that we managed to polish off. Thanks Stanley. Who says there’s nothing to do in Taman Negara after dark?



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *