BootsnAll Travel Network



Taichung (Middle Taiwan)

My mom told me that my Aunt sometimes lives in the middle of Taiwan (Taichung) and that I should try to look her up if I was around. After trying to figure out exactly where it is my Aunt lives in… “The Middle of Taiwan”. I have found my way to a small town called Fong Yuan in Cantonese, Fengyuen in Mandarin and often written in a completely different way on a map or online. Life down here is at a slower pace. There still are just as many scooters running around the streets darting in and out of traffic. I’m surprised that even though traffic seems to be pretty chaotic with the mix of pedestrians, scooter, motorcycles and cars, people seem to manage to avoid collisions for the most part. The best part is when you see a whole family on a scooter after school. The fourth person is hiding, but u can see his leg and yellow coat behind the others. Apparently, moms only means of transportation is the family Vespa and in order to get the kids from school, they all have to pile on and make their way home. 4 2 a scooter pleaseI’ve seen as many as 5 on a scooter.

My Auntie Ha (#18 of my mom’s family) and her family have been really great. Auntie Ha's FamilyThey’ve taken me around and I thought I had eaten a lot when I was in Taipei, but that was nothing compared to here. My Aunt cooked up some yummy vietnamese noodles and spring rolls when I arrived and I haven’t stopped eating since.

Of course, no trip to Taiwan would be complete without a night of Karaoke which lasted until 4:30am with my uncle and cousin. I may have had a few too many Gam beis (bottoms up) while practicing my numbers in Mandarin playing liars dice with the girls at the bar. I ended up singing a duet with the owner of the bar. Karaoke with the Boss The next day my cousin, Eric, took a day off work to take us to Sun Moon Lake about 2 hours away. Sun Moon LakeBoating on Sun Moon Lake

I’m heading back up to Taipei to visit some hot springs in the morning and then it’s off to Korea.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *