BootsnAll Travel Network



Siem Reap Day 2 of Temple Trekking

The next day started off at 5am. We got up before the sun to catch it rise above Ankor Wat. This was an even more amazing sight. Not only for the sunrise, but the throngs of people all over the south wall of Ankor anxiously waiting for the sunrise (IPH) I got some great pictures of Ankor Wat with the reflection of the temple on the pools of water in front of the temple (IPH). By 10am we had been out visiting temple after temple for 5 hours and were exhausted. The mid-day heat was upon us and we were tired. When we stopped at a lake, 2 little girls came up to us trying to sell us drinks, T-shirts, bracelets…. They were both very cute, but 1 only had a skirt on with no top. I asked her why she didn’t have a shirt on and she told me she was too poor to afford one. LOL They are good. So, I decided to buy a round of beers from her at 10am (hey, it’s 5 O’clock somewhere) and we had already been up for 5 hours. The other little girl was just despondent, absolutely inconsolable. She was so mad that we bought all 5 beers from the other girl and none from her. One of the Dutch girls, Martine, tried to give her a dollar, but she wouldn’t take it. She just said, “I don’t want money for free” (but in her head, I could hear, “I want to rip you off fair and square”) and she ran off crying. We felt so bad for her as her tears really seemed genuine. I also had a bad thought in the back of my mind about what kind of message we were sending here by buying 5 beers from the topless little girl and none from the clothed little girl. So we ended up buying another round from her too.

The highlight of the day was the Jungle Temple. This is the place where they filmed Tomb Raider. It was amazing to see these enormous trees growing in the middle of temple walls. These temples had been abandoned for so long that 400 year old trees could grow in the middle of it. The temple was huge! We even managed to loose our Dutch girls somehow (IPH). We sent out a search party to find them, but were unsuccessful. Finally Cory and I went back into the temple and found them. I walked all around the temple asking everyone if they’d seen a couple of little Dutch girls that seemed to be a bit lost. Someone finally said they did and pointed to the direction they last saw them. After that, I was ready to go home. The heat was absolutely oppressive! Walking and climbing up and down the temples in the middle of the day was insane! No amount of water was enough. And talk about being templed out…. I was templed out before I even left China 2 months before. Two straight days of going from temple to temple was too much. Time to head off to Bali.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *