BootsnAll Travel Network



Bob and Denise’s Wedding June 10th 2006

This was A day to be remembered. An amazing wedding in an amazing place. Destination weddings RULE! I had a linen suit made in Hoi An just for the wedding. The only problem with making a white linen suit and dragging it across 3 countries stuffed into my bag is that it’s made of linen. As I’m sure u know, linen is lightweight, but not wrinkle-free in any sense of the word. So I tried to get my hotel to press it for me by 4pm so I could get to the wedding in time. It came back pressed, but it still looked like a train wreck. Of course, I was running late, but couldn’t show up in a pimp-daddy suit all wrinkly like it had been stuck in my pack since Vietnam. So out comes the iron and my ‘excellent’ ironing experience (maybe twice in my lifetime). Now I know why people bring girlfriends to weddings. LOL Anyway, I’m supposed to be at Karma Village to catch the bus at 4:30. I get downstairs at 4:20 and the taxi still hasn’t shown up yet. I finally get in a taxi at 4:25 and hand the guy 50 thousand large to get me the 3km in 5 minutes. Miraculously, I made it and hopped my scruffy backpacking ass on the bus in a wrinkle free linen suit to a round of whoa, dude, holy shi… 45 minutes later after riding up hill in the “Little Bus that Could”. We made it to one of the most spectacular places that I’ve ever seen set on the cliffside of Ulu Watu the Istana Hotel has to be the most beautiful setting for a wedding. I kept asking myself why Bob didn’t just have the wedding at the Karma Villas where most people were staying. As I stepped on to the grounds of the hotel, my question was clearly answered with an emphatic THIS IS WHY!!!! http://www.photofactorybali.com/bobanddenise.htm The pictures on this site are awsome! The ceremony couldn’t have been more beautiful. They must have ordered the ‘beautiful sunset in the west with a full moon rising in the east’ package. I don’t know if they had to pay extra for them because both were beautiful beyond words. For a moment, I was a little concerned that it might rain. Dark clouds had formed all around the resort and heading our way. But for a small fee the Istana has a shield that blocks dark clouds from crossing its property. I know this because I saw the dark clouds stop and literally turn away from the resort before heading out to sea. The shield must have a daily rate because exactly at midnight, the heavens opened up and just poured 7 hours of rain onto the property in the matter of minutes. But by this time most of the guests had departed and the rest of us diehards were gathered in the main lobby area trying our best to finish off all the alcohol we had brought from the duty free shop. All in all a beautiful day that really left not for want. Congratulations! Bob and Denise. Thank you for inviting me to share in your special day.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *