BootsnAll Travel Network



Walk by Night

Location: Sighisoara in Transylvania, Romania
Known for: Birth of Vlad Tepes (origins of Dracula legend).
Mental Associations: Vampires and Werewolves

Okay, keeping the above in mind. Tim and I were sitting in a Bar/cafe writing internet blogs and drinking beer. This bar is underground. The vaulted ceilings made of old stone could be either an old wine cellar OR part of old catacombs. The bar is located in the old citidel on the top of a rocky hill. Little did we know, the fog was rolling in as night fell. We decide to talk a walk before we call it a night and go to our room for a little reading and sleep.
We step outside and the dim, yellowish lighting from the few street lamps seen could be torch light from 700 years ago. This light is muted by thick fog. There are few people on the streets as we walk toward a covered stairway with many steps to the top of a hill. We haven’t been to this part of the town yet. We make it up to the top of the dark steps and step out to a single light illuminating a steep path toward a church barely seen. As we get closer to the church, two individuals are sitting in the dark on a bench near the path, cigarette ends glowing orange. They go silent when we come near and seem to watch us. We were close to the church then. Dense fog masked any light from other sources and we walked, barely speaking and eyes searching. As we walked beside the dark church, we saw, barely, the ancient citidel wall on the other side of us. A large, mausoleum looking building with pillars was near the back part of the church. When we reached the back of the church, we came upon an old, tall, metal rail fence with spikes on the top. Behind it, an ancient graveyard. Big gravestones, overgrown, tall gnarled trees…reaching….,all was silence. As Tim and myself stared in apprehension, two large dogs snarled and barked at us. One of them was unseen and continued to bark savagely. My first thought was werewolves. My next thought was transformed vampires. The other dog was barely seen, but it was large and pitch black in color. It ceased to bark and came at us. We remained still.

Then it stopped barking and wagged its tail. It wanted attention. We pet it and then it walked with us for a tiny bit as we rounded the back of the church into safer looking areas. It even perked its ears at the other dog as if it would guard us against it. We never did see the other dog beast.

A taste of horror in the land of vampiric legends.

Write more later,

Dan



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *