BootsnAll Travel Network



Florence and the Cinque Terre

Our visit in Florence was short (two nights), but a good mix of what we like to do and see in any city: visiting museums (the Bargello, with mostly sculpture), visiting churches, having one good meal out to try the local foods, walking around the city to see the sights and to get a sense for the city’s atmospheres, taking a walk up and out of town — for views of the city and, in this case, to see all of the olive trees, and visiting with the other travellers at our hostel.

On Wednesday, we took the train to the Cinque Terre (“Five Lands”) region on the northwestern coast of Italy.  Five, small, mostly car-free villages hug the rocky, Mediterranean coastline.  The steep slopes around and between the villages are covered with mostly vineyards, but also some olive, lemon and orange orchards.  A hiking trail with marvelous views of the sea and villages winds its way between the villages and among the vineyards.

Dan and I hiked most of the trail yesterday, and we met up with a fun, young woman, named Laurie (sp?), from Nova Scotia, Canada.   Today, we’ll hike some more of the trail and tomorrow we leave Italy for Nice, France.

More details later,

Tim



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *